Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Trading in 997tt cab for 930

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 07:53 AM
Daytonacoupe66
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

One's preference for this or that is a very personal inclination with a lot of variables, although sometimes it's nice to validate a big decision by asking others what they'd do. If you are fortunate enough to afford either of these cars, then step toward the one that appears to tick most of the boxes - for you. If the car doesn't meet your expectations, or your circumstances change, then make an adjustment. Cars are a big economic driver because personal taste is so varied.
The following users liked this post:
wcarson (10-19-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:25 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMike66
We all need at least two 911's ... until we need three.
No truer words were ever uttered.
The following 2 users liked this post by frederik:
997turbocab (10-21-2021), meiwah98 (10-29-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:06 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I had both, really regret selling my 997 TT manual. They are the sweet spot for newer turbos. I have an 89 930 which I love as well. Its strictly a weekend car. What I like about the 930 is you can tinker with it and the simplicity/build quality.

Cant go wrong with either in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
MrMike66 (10-25-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 08:45 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The thing about a 930 and old threads is they never get old really. So I'll add to this one .... I'm lucky enough to have a highly modified but streetable (barely) 930 and a highly modified but very streetable 991TT (insert 997 here). My 5'2" wife does not like either but would prefer the 991 if given the choice. I would think she'd like the 991 but she prefers cars she doesn't have to fall into or climb out of. She doesn't appreciate BaT or the car vid's I share with here either. Wonderful woman but not into cars like me. I'm also lucky that she's very curvy. Not in a fat way but in a Porsche curvy way. I always appreciate looking at both. But enough about her. I love the short wheel base and grittiness of the 930 ... except when I like the smoother ride and overall refinement of the 991. The 930 is an icon. I love both cars but differently. We all need at least two 911's ... until we need three.
I had a very low mileage 89 for a while, it was awesome but too damn precious ($) to really enjoy. My next one will have a million miles on it, a quality respray and triple factory hp lol. I might even start with a 3.2 Carrera unless this market crashes. Who did your motor if you don't mind sharing? I'm pretty set on a stage 4 Protomotive build but curious to hear your experience. I want a classic analog car that goes like a modern digital car.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:54 PM
MrMike66
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello - I was fortunate enough to buy the '82 gray market 930 already modified. I'm still tracing the genealogy of previous owners. The 930 started life on the west coast where it was tracked for several years. I bought it only last year from a guy near Boston. I'm in North Carolina. I was also fortunate enough to have an inch thick folder of receipts and other documents going back to maybe 1987 accompany the purchase. Patrick motorsports did the engine work and added a G50 5 speed to the mix. Goes like a bat out of hell. Documented 450 rwhp with a very flat torque curve. While the boost does come on, it's relatively progressive. Like driving a high horsepower non turbo. My 930 is in very good shape but also shows much track use - paint chips, window chip, etc. I've had enough garage queens in my past. I was looking for a hot rod 911 and this one is everything I could have hoped for. I've been around racing for years but never took the plunge. I attended a HPDE at VIR a few months ago. I warned the instructor that my goal was to learn the 930 and find out whether it would hand grenade during the first session. I rev limited multiple times. HARD into and out of the corners. Not a hint of a problem. Hard to say what the real mileage is but the odometer reads 174k
I keep my 991 clean, neat and civilized. The 930 is its alter ego and I absolutely love it. My BaT addiction has been cured with this particular 930. Thanks for asking!
Old 10-29-2021, 06:31 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello - I was fortunate enough to buy the '82 gray market 930 already modified. I'm still tracing the genealogy of previous owners. The 930 started life on the west coast where it was tracked for several years. I bought it only last year from a guy near Boston. I'm in North Carolina. I was also fortunate enough to have an inch thick folder of receipts and other documents going back to maybe 1987 accompany the purchase. Patrick motorsports did the engine work and added a G50 5 speed to the mix. Goes like a bat out of hell. Documented 450 rwhp with a very flat torque curve. While the boost does come on, it's relatively progressive. Like driving a high horsepower non turbo. My 930 is in very good shape but also shows much track use - paint chips, window chip, etc. I've had enough garage queens in my past. I was looking for a hot rod 911 and this one is everything I could have hoped for. I've been around racing for years but never took the plunge. I attended a HPDE at VIR a few months ago. I warned the instructor that my goal was to learn the 930 and find out whether it would hand grenade during the first session. I rev limited multiple times. HARD into and out of the corners. Not a hint of a problem. Hard to say what the real mileage is but the odometer reads 174k
I keep my 991 clean, neat and civilized. The 930 is its alter ego and I absolutely love it. My BaT addiction has been cured with this particular 930. Thanks for asking!
Patrick does nice work. Have you seen the ducktail, longhood turbo restomods they've done? Singer like but with 500+whp.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:30 PM
MrMike66
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not. I have my 991, 930 and a ‘71 TR6. After lots of years and many cars during that time, I can now look at other cars and not lust after them. Finally. I really appreciate time time, effort and engineering involved. That said .. I’ll check out the Patrick resto mods .. but only to look. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Trading in 997tt cab for 930