Need your Opinions are some of these 930s - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Need your Opinions are some of these 930s

Reply

Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 PM
  #1  
fastmd
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
fastmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the garage
Posts: 867
Default Need your Opinions are some of these 930s

Hi, I am currently looking to purchase a 930 and a 964 turbo as I am longing to get back into some air cooled fun that I used to have. I stupidly sold my previous cars and the current owners don't want to sell them back to me.

Anyhow, there seems to be 2 types of cars that I'm finding, either truly museum pieces or rode hard and put away wet with museum price tags.

I am trying to find a solid driver, mechanically strong, good bones, no rust, no salvage, no hacked together vehicle. I would like decent paint, but I have a great paint guy. I do want a good interior.

I am open to all colors/combos.

Solid modifications are fine with quality components that add to the drivability/performance. But no AutoZone mods.

I drive all my cars in any weather except snow. I do have museum pieces, but these are going to be pure enjoyment, keep me off of meds cars.

I have been speaking with 2 people about these cars and will post the links.

https://www.bentleygoldcoast.com/198...rbo-c-5640.htm

This car is a repaint, 5-6/10, oil seepage from valve cover gaskets(supposedly), A/C doesn't work, Chips on windshield, Brake pad sensors not connected, RT rear sway bar shifted causing marks on floor,Screw on Fuel Distr is stuck and hard to adjust, Some RUF mods, Odometer discrepancy(supposedly due to RUF gauges) Selling dealer seems to be honest about representing the car. Has sent me many pics and videos. Start up video does look a little rough, started on second try. No paper work, except stock manuals

Second car:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Porsch...pZ6~60&vxp=mtr

I like this car, but there is no paperwork, he has manuals, states everything works. Sent me a video and looks good. But almost to good from my untrained eyes.

Would like to hear your opinions on these cars.

If you have any others that I should look at please let me know, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks!

Would have to do a full PPI
fastmd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 PM
  #2  
Cbwell
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Cbwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 603
Default

PM sent
Cbwell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 PM
  #3  
HEAT'N'COOL
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
HEAT'N'COOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere in the AIR
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by fastmd View Post
Hi, I am currently looking to purchase a 930 and a 964 turbo as I am longing to get back into some air cooled fun that I used to have. I stupidly sold my previous cars and the current owners don't want to sell them back to me.

Anyhow, there seems to be 2 types of cars that I'm finding, either truly museum pieces or rode hard and put away wet with museum price tags.

I am trying to find a solid driver, mechanically strong, good bones, no rust, no salvage, no hacked together vehicle. I would like decent paint, but I have a great paint guy. I do want a good interior.

I am open to all colors/combos.

Solid modifications are fine with quality components that add to the drivability/performance. But no AutoZone mods.

I drive all my cars in any weather except snow. I do have museum pieces, but these are going to be pure enjoyment, keep me off of meds cars.

I have been speaking with 2 people about these cars and will post the links.

https://www.bentleygoldcoast.com/198...rbo-c-5640.htm

This car is a repaint, 5-6/10, oil seepage from valve cover gaskets(supposedly), A/C doesn't work, Chips on windshield, Brake pad sensors not connected, RT rear sway bar shifted causing marks on floor,Screw on Fuel Distr is stuck and hard to adjust, Some RUF mods, Odometer discrepancy(supposedly due to RUF gauges) Selling dealer seems to be honest about representing the car. Has sent me many pics and videos. Start up video does look a little rough, started on second try. No paper work, except stock manuals

Second car:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Porsch...pZ6~60&vxp=mtr

I like this car, but there is no paperwork, he has manuals, states everything works. Sent me a video and looks good. But almost to good from my untrained eyes.

Would like to hear your opinions on these cars.

If you have any others that I should look at please let me know, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks!

Would have to do a full PPI
As for the black car, does it have a front mount Oil Cooler? I see the RUF bumper, intercooler, ect. on the car. Does it have a upgraded turbo? When was the last engine rebuild, how far back does the documentation go? My advice would be get a car with a sound power plant since you stated you would be driving it rather then being a garage queen. The oil leak from the Valve Gaskets is fairly common, however it is a nice process to get them replaced. For reliability i would look for a car with an EFI conversion or a car with a recent rebuild.

I have a 930 that has a TurboKraft engine build running EFI and it is SOLID. Unfortunately with me, my car had its paint burnt by a "reputable" detailer so the entire car is being repainted right now.... Thats the only reason i am not driving my car weekly.

As for a car without paperwork I would pass personally, there could be hidden issues and these issues could be very expensive.
HEAT'N'COOL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 PM
  #4  
Igooz
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Igooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: COTX
Posts: 2,972
Default

fastmd, I own both cars and you will enjoy them. And there are too many junked up 930's out there, and to a lesser extent 964 turbos; perhaps lower volume and the prices really got crazy in the early 90's.
Go to RPM sports car in Houston and buy from Joseph an invesment grade 930 and be done.
The Chicago car has been for sale for a long time...Texas car I don't know.
Igooz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 PM
  #5  
Alan A
User
 
Alan A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 1,019
Default

Prices on 930s seem to be all over the place.
Plus I'm not that familiar with them, although I'm sorta in the same place as the OP in that I'm hankering after one.
Not to hijack his thread, but what -is- a fair price range for a nice driver these days?
Alan A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:08 AM
  #6  
HEAT'N'COOL
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
HEAT'N'COOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere in the AIR
Posts: 240
Default

Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
Prices on 930s seem to be all over the place.
Plus I'm not that familiar with them, although I'm sorta in the same place as the OP in that I'm hankering after one.
Not to hijack his thread, but what -is- a fair price range for a nice driver these days?
I think it all depend what you consider a driver. These cars are 30+ years old now, so original paint with acceptable paint blemishes? A driver will be between 75K and 120K in miles in my opinion. That being said, I would say around 75-95K depending on what condition the motor, paint, what original parts that still exist on the car. Some things to consider if you want a reliable driver is, an EFI conversion. This makes a 930 much more reliable on a day to day basis. My car fires up first crank and has since the conversion by TurboKraft. I wouldn't dismiss a very solid restomod.
HEAT'N'COOL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:28 AM
  #7  
NBoost
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 469
Default

Originally Posted by Igooz View Post
fastmd, I own both cars and you will enjoy them. And there are too many junked up 930's out there, and to a lesser extent 964 turbos; perhaps lower volume and the prices really got crazy in the early 90's.
Go to RPM sports car in Houston and buy from Joseph an invesment grade 930 and be done.
The Chicago car has been for sale for a long time...Texas car I don't know.
+930 for RPM. The 24k mile '89 at Ray's is a perfect driver, 100% original, no paint work. Unmolested G50 cars are hard to come by.
NBoost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:21 PM
  #8  
TT Surgeon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TT Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: KC ex pat marooned in NY
Posts: 12,936
Default

I almost bought the silver car 4 yrs ago, it was pretty solid as I recall.
TT Surgeon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:37 AM
  #9  
fastmd
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
fastmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the garage
Posts: 867
Default

Thanks for all the replies, still searching.

TT surgeon, why did you pass on the silver car?
fastmd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 PM
  #10  
skillet
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 13
Default


I have a nice 88 911 turbo coming for sale. Wheels are not original, k27 with after market exhaust. Wrapping up an engine out service. Repaint in 95, 68K miles, loads of documentation. Car looks great, 20K+ in receipts, soon to be 25K+. Will list in a week or so. Feel free to pm.

Last edited by skillet; 11-29-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: add information
skillet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:08 PM
  #11  
rdwinelover
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 106
Default



I own 4 early Turbo's. Love them all...
rdwinelover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:27 PM
  #12  
Alan A
User
 
Alan A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 1,019
Default

Oh I really really like that green one...
Alan A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:23 PM
  #13  
fastmd
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
fastmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the garage
Posts: 867
Default

Originally Posted by rdwinelover View Post
p

I own 4 early Turbo's. Love them all...
Very nice!
fastmd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:56 AM
  #14  
TT Surgeon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TT Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: KC ex pat marooned in NY
Posts: 12,936
Default

Originally Posted by fastmd View Post
Thanks for all the replies, still searching.

TT surgeon, why did you pass on the silver car?
Sent you a pm
c
TT Surgeon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:18 PM
  #15  
The Italian Pursuit
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
The Italian Pursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 634
Default

No affiliation, high mileage, nice color combo in my opinion.

It was also for sale on Rennlist - not sure if it still is.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
The Italian Pursuit is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need your Opinions are some of these 930s


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: