1985 Values / Gotchas

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Trey03
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1985 Values / Gotchas

Team:

I've been a long time Porsche fan. I've owned several 993's and a 996 Gt3 (as well as several cayennes for what that's worth) I've never owned anything prior to the 993. I've always wanted a 911 turbo (pre-996) but when the market went nutty several years ago I was pretty sure my chances had passed.

In a moment of temporary insanity a few years ago, I bought a 96 Viper GTS with a mere 3k miles. It was the anti-Porsche and I thought it would be fun. In hindsight, I'm a german car guy all the way. With the air-cooled market pulling back a bit recently I'm thinking it's time to trade the Viper for something porsche and turbo....

I'm really intrigued by the 930's. I've read through many older posts on rennlist, trying to educate myself. I'm struggling bit to get a feel for pricing, and impact of grey market accordingly. I really like the look of this car but I'm not comfortable given it's a euro car. Also I don't know if i should value the 'upgrades'. Lastly the price seems fair to me but I'm sure folks will tell it's high given it's from a dealer.

http://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/inve...0-turbo-coupe/

I would really value education as a 930 Noob. I will say they are willing to do me rigth on a Viper trade.

Trey

Last edited by Trey03; 08-14-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I almost bought that car, passed. Pm me for details.
Chris
Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

That car has been on the market for a long long time. They started the price well north of $100k.

The first issue I see is its a ROW car with a speedo that reads in MPH and an ODO that reads in miles. When was it swapped for the original unit and how many KM's were on the car then?
Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked closely and can pm any info. But as trader220 mentioned, miles are unknown and that was a huge issue for me, in fairness it has lots of documents......sans federalization papers. There are a couple of nice 930s in the fs that are stock, known histories and same price point.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

I know this is an older thread, but that looks shockingly like my old '85 Prussian blue Euro! But I don't think it is the same one. Mine had tinted windows, the original Fuch rims, and I see some aftermarket components & an original factory sticker that I don't recognize. Still, they could be twins.

Ironically, I sold mine about 5 years ago ($70k) & bought a '96 Viper GTS. Vastly different cars, and personally, I think you're jumping off a valuation train that's speeding up & hopping on one that's slowing down.

Grey market does seem to impact the value of 930s, unfairly, IMHO. A Euro car can be every bit as good (or better) than a U.S. market car, depending on the quality of the federalization. And I think that's the key; you have to inspect it closely to check the quality of the work. With all these cars 30+ years old, every car could have been the recipient of some wack-job repair decades ago. I would certainly take a clean & straight Euro 930 over a "more desirable" U.S. model that had been repaired in a dubious manner. Pricewise, they can be bargains comparatively.

Upgrades add no value, except fun. They can hurt the value, especially if the original parts aren't included. Some will argue, but the market is quite clear on this.

As for the miles, the odometer never really confirms the true story on a Porsche, even on a U.S. car. The documentation & condition do that.

Quick Reply: 1985 Values / Gotchas