911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

interior restoration cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 PM
boccarp
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default interior restoration cost?

So after 30 years of ownership the 930's interior needs a refinishing. Excluding the seats (Recaro race seats) rear deck and dash board what do you think it will cost to do the door panels, rear side panels and under dash. I did the top of dash and rear deck a few years ago. they came out perfect but my buddy did it as a favor for me rebuilding his race bike motor. I have no idea what a fair number would be. A shop just quoted me $4k for under dash piece, two door panels and two rear panels. Is that a fair number??? I would get my buddy to do it but he's on his third tour of duty in Afghanistan.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 PM
WPO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boccarp
So after 30 years of ownership the 930's interior needs a refinishing. Excluding the seats (Recaro race seats) rear deck and dash board what do you think it will cost to do the door panels, rear side panels and under dash. I did the top of dash and rear deck a few years ago. they came out perfect but my buddy did it as a favor for me rebuilding his race bike motor. I have no idea what a fair number would be. A shop just quoted me $4k for under dash piece, two door panels and two rear panels. Is that a fair number??? I would get my buddy to do it but he's on his third tour of duty in Afghanistan.
That sounds crazy expensive to me.

What's wrong with the current bits? Are they torn or is the leather just worn? If it's worn you can re-dye the leather and it comes just as good as new. That's an option worth exploring.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:08 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

About 3 years ago I restored the interior in my 930. I used Bob Budd :

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/

He will re-upholster your interior parts for you. I removed and sent him:

Dash, knee bolsters, center console, rear quarters, rear deck, door panel uppers, rear quarter panel uppers.

It was around $2500 for those pieces in new black leather and black stitching, french seams.

I removed the interior myself, carefully packaged up the interior and shipped it to him. Turnaround was around 2-3 weeks as I recall.

The work was excellent.

I found the removal and installation of the interior was not hard, just time consuming. If you can do the dash yourself the rest of the car was easy.

I did my dash and new windshield at the same time since the glass needed to come out.

Hope this helps you.

- Chris.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
About 3 years ago I restored the interior in my 930. I used Bob Budd :

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/

He will re-upholster your interior parts for you. I removed and sent him:

Dash, knee bolsters, center console, rear quarters, rear deck, door panel uppers, rear quarter panel uppers.

It was around $2500 for those pieces in new black leather and black stitching, french seams.

I removed the interior myself, carefully packaged up the interior and shipped it to him. Turnaround was around 2-3 weeks as I recall.

The work was excellent.

I found the removal and installation of the interior was not hard, just time consuming. If you can do the dash yourself the rest of the car was easy.

I did my dash and new windshield at the same time since the glass needed to come out.

Hope this helps you.

- Chris.
His work always looked great and even looks better now there are no seams in the dash.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 PM
boccarp
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so I had the interior guy re dye the entire interior. It came out amazing! I'll post a couple of photos when I get the car back. Looks as good as new!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:20 AM
WPO
Intermediate

so I had the interior guy re dye the entire interior. It came out amazing! I'll post a couple of photos when I get the car back. Looks as good as new!
Glad to hear that re-dying worked I've had good experience with re-dying also.

And the best part is that it's actually pretty inexpensive. For sure didn't cost you $4k.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 AM
Tommy Kaira
Intermediate

I'm in the UK but at my trim shop we would charge the equivalent of $2000-2500 for what you describe retrimmed in very good quality, automotive leather.

Quick Reply: interior restoration cost?