Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuchs: authentic or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Fuchs: authentic or not?

Hey folks, I'm looking at these wheels that the owner believes to be originals from the rear of an 88 Turbo. (16x9)

I have read the threads on identifying numbers and markings, yet the wheels are so dirty I can see none of the stampings inside the petals. I can however make out some markings toward the outside.

The clearest of these say 'Max Wheel Load 1620" and "AEWC".(Or "ALWC".) A little embarrassed I'm not a better detective than this, so hoping someone can help me out.
Attached Images    
Old 07-15-2017, 07:43 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not Fuchs. They are repro's made by American Eagle Wheels Corporation
Old 07-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much! I'm disappointed but I'd have been much moreso if I'd have gotten them. Thank you again
Old 07-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LOLZ.... We made the box that wheel shipped in.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

on a side note what's the going rate for a set of 7/9 16 Oem fuchs?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

That's a good question. My answer will be more about observations than a list of ask/sold prices.

I think the new ones being offered (Suncoast and others) have shunted the formerly 'not making them anymore' rarity of the old wheels' ever-escalating trend. Suncoast is at $1100 each, new in box. If you miss their initial batch, you get to wait an indeterminate amount of time.

It seems only those demanding 'date coded' wheels tend to follow that thinking now. Whether that's of merit, I can't say.

Others contend that 30+ year old wheels have years and miles of fatigue, possibly unknown cracking from dozens of clamp-downs or accident. Not a good recipe for safety, so new, 'correct' wheels are as acceptable as any wear item.

Sevens seem plentiful enough, and I've found a few of those, generally paired with 8's. The sets have gone from $1200-$2500; the broad range purely upon condition or owner's estimation.

The 9's are in a different world. I had a set of tracked 9s bought and agreed upon at $1200 for the pair, but the owner and his car partner decided to finish out the season first. We'll see.

Many have priced their 9" wheels at the new price or even much more, depending. The cost of reconditioning must be factored as well, since the main two or three vendors on Fuchs are 'around' 200-300 per wheel. So a 'bad' set will end up running you some semi serious dough to correct.

All these factors make the market hard to peg a tight price point. Quite often, the time consumed to find a set, skepticism over 'true' condition, and refinishing costs force many (most?) to just get a great set of replicas, which seem to be in a mild flourish. Quality has - I'm told - improved markedly. It is definitely tempting.

I'm sure others can quote some exact sales that may help, or PM you with asking prices. For me, I'm still in the hunt.

P.S. What in the heck size/type are you running in your fabulous avatar?

Last edited by Adams; 07-20-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

I wish i knew what was in the avatar I chased to find out who built it and who owns it to get more details but guessing that's an easy 11" wheel with proper offset and a 5" lip or so.
The fuchs seem to be all over the place price wise I've seen 9's sell for close to 2k and personally I'm looking to jump into a 17" wheel and my car is a mutant so I don't see a need to hold onto them. I'll clean them up and post them and hope for a quick sale

Quick Reply: Fuchs: authentic or not?