Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil level ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Jerry911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil level ?

Wonder about what the oil level should read, put on 2.5K this year and noticed that oil level was staying low, just above red. Checked level and reading about 1/4 way up from bottom mark to top mark. I never had to add oil b4, but normal only put about 1-2K on per year. No oil leaks under car, should I add and how much? I am about to store until spring, and next oil change, current running 20w50.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 11-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Bob's flat-six
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jerry,
Check it with the car fully warmed up and level at idle. It should come up to about the half way point or a little more but always leave it down at least a 1/4 from the top. It's best to check it at the stick too at the same time if you can.
I just ad about a 1/3 quart at a time if your just topping up the oil.

Old 11-19-2003, 06:53 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

I agree. Keep your level half way between the two marks. If it gets too high, oil can be drawn into the intake.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
rosco28
Instructor

In the past I've topped off the oil with the engine running, is that correct? I cannot find a direct post about this, and appreciate the help!

Thanks y'all!!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rosco28
In the past I've topped off the oil with the engine running, is that correct? I cannot find a direct post about this, and appreciate the help!

Thanks y'all!!
There's no problem in doing that, in fact it allows you to double check the level after adding oil. The main thing is to ALWAYS CHECK the oil from the dipstick, with the engine warmed up, the car on level ground and the engine RUNNING, after letting it sit 1/2 minute or so, if you just got back from a drive.

PS- How're things in the Porsche world in Israel?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM
rosco28
Instructor

Thanks, Ed!

I guess the opposite of my original question would be: Is it ok to add oil when the engine is cold, say first thing in the morning?

Truth be told, I'm not much a part of the Porsche community in Israel. But from what i've seen and the guys i've met, they're a good bunch! We have a great indy shop too! And the roads, oh G-d, the roads are amazing!!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You can add cold, but you won't be able to verify that you got the level to where you want it, until you warm it up. If you check it warm, and decide it needs some-why not add it then?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Quinlan
Racer

The post brings up a kind of Catch 22 situation - how do you know if there is enough oil in it to safely start it and warm it up, if you can only check the level when it is warm, level and running? If the engine is severely low on oil, you run the risk of damaging it by starting it and running it....
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Great thread and I'm glad it was resurrected.

We see a fair number of cars with grossly over-filled oil tanks and I think its largely due to lack of understanding about these dry-sump systems. Further, people don't always read the owner's manual and learn how to correctly maintain these engines.

For the record,...the ONLY accurate way to check oil level is with the dipstick. The gauge only gives a general indication and only when hot & idling. The dipstick is the "gospel" and is the primary tool used to determine how much oil is in the system and whether to add any or not.

Now,..the dipstick is only accurate when the engine is at operating temperature (85 deg C or 185 deg F), and after the engine has been idling for a few minutes on level ground.

Never, ever add oil to a 911 engine thats cold or not running. Never add oil to the top mark on the dipstick; maintain hot oil levels in the middle; between the two lines.

Failure to follow these procedures results in issues ranging from a huge external mess, to ruined cats, heavy deposits inside the engine and sometimes, bent rods from hydraulically-locked motors. I've seen them all.

I sure hope this helps someone.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

dont get too caught up .. there is about 7 litres sitting in the tank that doesnt even get used until the thermostat opens .. The reason you check it warm is because you are doing a dynamic check of the tank with the thermostat open and the oil pumping too it.

You would have to be down to about 5 or 6 litres or so i imagine before you had an issue.

For axample i only put about 8 in after a change , then start it warm it up and top up the other 2 or thre i need. Really NOt an issue.

yes you can put oil in cold no problem. Sometimes when i check the oil and it is about a quart low I kust make a note if I am not at home or cant be bothered to fill it. No problem puting a litre in Later or the next morning.

Dont overanalyze this.

BTW sometimes when warm i top up by looking at the guage and watch it .. but does as Ed says , use the dipstick till you are sure. I always fill to max .. just coz ...

BTW check out my updated dip stick from Porsche .. looks like they were aware of Steves point and lowered the levels a little for full...

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Never, ever add oil to a 911 engine thats cold or not running.

I sure hope this helps someone.
This didn't help me Steve! I just drained my oil for an oil change, took your advice, and started the car up to warm it up, so I can add oil for the refill. It seemed to be making a lot of squealing and knocking noises when I did this, and then it just died all of a sudden? It was also hard to turn over. How do I fix this?

Happy April Fool's Day +1!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Hehehehe,...good one....!

Doyle
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
sig_a
Pro

The oil level dip stick and oil level gauge measure the same thing. The oil level gauge is for driver to monitor engine oil level while driving, and is very handy. The gauge is accurate and the stick confirms this.

Oil change routine is add nine quarts. Drive engine until temp needle at middle white line or 90º C. Leave engine running and add quart number ten while watching oil level gauge needle thru rear window. Continue adding oil as you watch oil level gauge needle reach three-quarter mark. Check oil stick to confirm. Normal to get ten quarts plus part of quart eleven for near full in 3.2 liter. Works good for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
The oil level dip stick and oil level gauge measure the same thing. The oil level gauge is for driver to monitor engine oil level while driving, and is very handy. The gauge is accurate and the stick confirms this.

Oil change routine is add nine quarts. Drive engine until temp needle at middle white line or 90º C. Leave engine running and add quart number ten while watching oil level gauge needle thru rear window. Continue adding oil as you watch oil level gauge needle reach three-quarter mark. Check oil stick to confirm. Normal to get ten quarts plus part of quart eleven for near full in 3.2 liter. Works good for me.
Not always. My gauge is about 3/4 quart off from the dipstick. The gauge reads lower than the dipstick.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my oil changes, I put in 9 qts of oil and let the engine come up to temperature. To ensure the thermostat in the right wheel well opens, I make sure the oil cooler hard lines are hot to the touch. That way I know the system is circulating the oil and makes the level easier to attain (halfway).

Quick Reply: oil level ?