Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Got Tired of My Car Bottoming Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:04 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Got Tired of My Car Bottoming Out

My car is pretty low. 24 1/16” at the highest point of the front wheel well arch. I got tired of my tow hook dragging bottom so I made a plate kit that sandwiches both sides of the hook. The new issue that addition created was that the hook had to be straightened to full length to add the plates and the car bottomed out even more. I was like there has to be a way to fix this, so I thought I should attach a wheel. But what kind of a wheel? I thought about that idea for a couple days and then a light came on - a skateboard wheel would work great.

Well, I assemble my idea (SkateorScrape LOL!) after trips to the skate shop and hardware store. I was able to test my invention out this weekend and it worked like a charm. No scraping or scrubbing. Just the skateboard wheel hitting the asphalt and rolling. The bearings held up great and so did the bolt!

The pictures attached are before the wheel was bottomed out. That’s why it’s so clean. You can see where the plates had bottomed out though. The wheel extends .25” below the plate.

I picked up a passenger side factory two hook from Rick at Weekend Rides and plan to make the same setup for that side as well.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

lol that's awesome ... I hate the sound it makes when it scrapes,, feels like your whole car is dragging. ABEC 9s? only the best for a Porsche no ? Tony Hawk would be proud.
in the interest of CPI , I would have put one on the inside too so it doesn't canterleaver the bolt as its a lot of weight. Also would have used less noticeable Black wheels. Cool idea though .
Old 05-30-2017, 04:13 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
lol that's awesome ... I hate the sound it makes when it scrapes,, feels like your whole car is dragging. ABEC 9s? only the best for a Porsche no ? Tony Hawk would be proud.
in the interest of CPI , I would have put one on the inside too so it doesn't canterleaver the bolt as its a lot of weight. Also would have used less noticeable Black wheels. Cool idea though .
Thanks, Ice! Had to get a 65mm wheel and they only sold sets of 4. This was the softest/cheapest set they had in stock.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

well your gonna have some scrubbing on that wheel if you back out of a tilted driveway on to a street, you need a tiny dynamic steering control next.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

you need a tiny dynamic steering control next.
I'll get to work on that. LOL!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well....does it work?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just creep the car until you feel the tow hook/ plates/ bolts rig hit the asphalt, then let the clutch out and scrape along until it stops. Part of the joy of an older aircooled 911.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love it! haha.

The PO of my car just let the tow-hooks become bent half-way up from scrubbing on the track I assume, so I myself haven't had issues. I figured I should leave it so.

Unless you count the time I was following a truck on the highway at 100 as he sailed over a giant dead raccoon giving me no time to move, but grit my teeth.... *WHAM!!!*

Jase.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Well....does it work?
It does. Four trips in and out of the driveway and one huge dip in the road. The wheel hit each of those times and held up - so did the bolt. The best part is that it kept that chin spoiler off of the ground. Replacing that piece is expensive and a pain.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:00 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Noob question, is cutting off the tow hook a viable option? I drag mine on the regular. Is it necessary? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I wouldn't cut mine off you have to figure it's protecting the bottom of the tank. I'll let you guys know soon enough as they are almost worn off
Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I learned something. I have these tow hooks (i guess) on my car, driver side bent nearly 90degree and passenger is straight. I always thought they were some weird addition a PO made at some point to be sacrificial. Guess not!

Quick Reply: Got Tired of My Car Bottoming Out