Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

78sc Engine noise after brake line bleed/ loss brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017 | 09:14 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default 78sc Engine noise after brake line bleed/ loss brake fluid

A week ago my brake pedal had hardly any pressure. One look at resovoir told me why, no fluid. Added fluid and fine but still was loosing level of fluid. Took to local shop (Eurosport in Bensenville,IL) and they could not find any obvious leaks but noticed the top of resovoir with a finger tip depth of fluid around cap, decided it could be the cap gasket was very worn down and splashing was occurring. They bled my lines and installed new gasket in cap. When I left the shop I notticed a strange sound but thought it was another car. On way home from work I could tell it was my car. The noise is a rough sort of hoarse gravelly noise just up to around 2k rpm as I accelerate the noise goes away like a switch was thrown. Noise almost feels like a window is down and then raised. It's a rattle like sound coming from rear passenger side. Any ideas? The car was sold with documents and specifically said tensioners and head studs have been addressed though its obvious not with upgraded ones. I called previous owner who said head studs were replaced and tensioners swapped for new old stock. Car has 36k miles. I will go to the shop tomorrow. Worried.

Sher
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:19 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default UPDATE

So this morning I left my garage and could still hear that noise. It wasn't constantly there, but came on and off thought my commute. Since there is traffic both yesterday and today (rush hour) I wasn't able to really open her up. This morning though, traffic cleared and I got the speed up to about 80. After that the noise disappeared. I exited the freeway and continued to head to the repair shop, but could not get that noise to come on. A mechanic at Eurosport checked out the engine and went on a ride with me... nothing at all to hear. The car runs like it should and did. The thinking now is that something may have been lodged somewhere and cleared itself. Not sure what to make of it. I will obviously pay attention to it for a while and see if it comes back. Any thoughts?

Sher-
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

when it comes back get a sound clip. I would be far more worried about the dropping brake fluid, did you remove the drivers carpet and check round your pedal cluster ? IF ITS WET YOUR MASTER IS TOAST .
Old 05-02-2017 | 12:46 PM
iFox
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
when it comes back get a sound clip. I would be far more worried about the dropping brake fluid, did you remove the drivers carpet and check round your pedal cluster ? IF ITS WET YOUR MASTER IS TOAST .
They checked under the carpet, under the pedals.. raised the car on the lift. There was no wetness to be found. The only wetness was on top of the resovoir, about a finger tip depth of fluid around cap. I am watching the level now to see if it drops...so far its holding. They changed the gasket around blake fluid cap.

Sher-

Quick Reply: 78sc Engine noise after brake line bleed/ loss brake fluid