Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 11:06 AM
acha3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Battery Drain

I have a 82 930 that yesterday the car was running fine, then the radio start to go on and off, the tach went crazy, I turn off the car and about an hour the car have the battery dead ( it is a new battery). I put a new battery and start fine, but then I drove the car about 30 minutes and turn off the engine wait about 20 minutes and then the battery is dead again. Also I notice that the window will go down when the car is off. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Howard
Racer

I think I would look at the voltage regulator first, I believe your car still has the external regulator whereas the later models had the alternator with an internal regulator. If the regulator checks out then it may be an ignition switch problem.
Good luck !
Old 03-06-2002, 03:05 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello:
The critical item I found in reading your post is that the window goes down when the key is off. This is the problem. The door "switch" is not working properly and the circuit that energizes the power window is ( incorrectly) always powered "on". Normally, the window will go up and down if the power is on...and will give you one more chance to close the window after the car is "off". If you then open and close the car door, you can't operate the windows again. That's the way it's supposed to work. Try replacing the door jamb switch ( one or both doors)...and report back if this fixed the battery drain problem. Standby battery drain should be about 12-20 mA....not much more.
-- Wil Ferch
Old 03-09-2002, 08:55 PM
acha3
AutoX

Talking

It was the diodes of the alternator,I take out the alternator ( it was very easy to do that) and go to a local eletromechanic and found the problem. I buy the part from a rebuilt alternators store($30) and the mechanic put it ($15). Saved a lot of money by doing it myself. I recomended the book 101 Projects for your Porsche 911 by Wayne R. Dempsey. Great Book if you have a 911

Quick Reply: Battery Drain