A Few Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM
PaulCarrera
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A Few Electrical Issues

1986 Carrera 3.2

My first problem is with the ignition switch, most of the time it all works fine but occasionally when you turn the key there is nothing there almost like you have a flat battery ( first time I put the battery on charge dah) then after a bit of jiggling it will start. My understanding is that there is nothing the jiggling can do because of the way the switch is made so I am a bit stumped.

My next problem is with the light/indicator stork.
Initially I lost the spring high beam selector that works towards the driver and then later on I selected the high beam by pushing the stork away and now it is stuck on high even though the stork moves as it should. Are there any serviceable contacts in the switch?

Lastly one of my tail lights doesn't work and I have had it all out and checked everything but there is no power to it, everything else in the unit works fine so just wondering if there is a plug connector that may be playing up, that's all I can think of and it is the left taillight

Any help appreciated
Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Sounds like something is lose or not connecting at your ignition as far as the no start goes. Good news is you need to take your steering column apart to replace the signal stalk so maybe you will spot the problem. Do this soon as full power goes through this part and I have heard of it going up in smoke.
As far as the tail light I'm finding that I need to go through my contacts and clean them up in the housing as the corrosion build up is bad.

Quick Reply: A Few Electrical Issues