Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rust problem(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM
BYUengineer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust problem(s)

I recently bought my first Porsche, a 73 911t. Of course I'm an instant addict, but I, like many first time buyers did not have a ppi done, and have found a new rusty area each day.

I could really use some advice on what to do. I don't really care how I get there, or how long it takes, I just want to have a 911 that is in good condition.

I do all my own work, mostly because I enjoy it, but also because I have more time than money. I have thought of selling my current car and looking for a nicer one, and I have also thought of focusing on all of the mechanical aspects of the car and letting the body waste away while I wait to buy a donor body. The major cancerous parts that I have found are on the bottom of the car where the body meets the pan right under the doors and in the back under the rear console. (it looks as if water leaked in through the rear window and had its fun) There is some minor bubbling in the front fenders, but it seems reparable.

My questions are:

1. How much rust is repairable?

2. How much does it cost to find a donor body?

3. If I need a donor body would I be better off selling what I've got and
buying one in better condition?

Please help me!!

BYUengineer
Old 11-12-2003, 01:26 PM
blabla914
Intermediate

Early 911's are some of my favorites.

Rust is an area I, sadly, have a lot of experience in.

First, define rust. A lot of west coast guys go crazy about rust that is just on the surface of the metal. This can be ground off or chemically removed. The rust free metal can then be painted. When guys in the north east say rust, they mean stuff is missing! Your only option here is cut back to solid metal and weld in new components.

Second, the only way to fix rust is to remove it. That usually means a lot of grinding etc. If the metal left is either too thin or completely gone, you will have to weld in new panels. You can either buy pre-made repair panels or fab up your own. Fabbing your own will take a LOT longer and in some cases not be practical unless you really have some advanced metal working skills. Fabbed panels will generally not look as original either unless you're quite skilled with metal or its a real simple piece. Its all just sheet metal and paint. The only limits are the abilities of the person doing the work, and the time and money available. How much time and money you put into this body is up to you. I can't help you with the cost of a 911 body, but make sure you don't buy one with the same problems you already have. I've seen that happen a bunch of times.

Third, all this grinding, welding, painting, etc, will make a surprising mess out of you, your car, and your shop.

Finally, a donor body should only be considered if you are really interested in going through the whole car. As you take the rusty car apart and put stuff on the "new" body you may be surprised at how many things you find need fixing. Of course when you are done, you will have a sorted, clean 911 if you do things properly. However, its not something you can do a little at a time while you enjoy driving the car and its a lot of work. If you aren't intersted in a big project, look for a better car.

Good Luck

Kelly
Old 11-12-2003, 03:36 PM
BYUengineer
Track Day

thanks for the great reply!! In response to what kind of rust it is, it's the bad kind, not surface rust but cancerous hole in metal type rust. Where can you pick up repair panels?

Eric
Old 11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Performance Products & Automotion, they have some sheet metal replacement parts.

www.performanceproducts.com
Old 11-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Tim K
Advanced

Restoration Design has most everything to fix the 'problem areas'. I bought a parts car that was complete and mechanically sound. The tub was another issue. I thought it would be a good idea to look for another tub also and make a car for the street/track. The problem is, most tubs have been cracked up or are badly rusted. There are usually reasons they are no longer on the road.
I found a tub that came from a car that suffered severe flood damage and was subsequently stripped for parts. The tub was fine, save for a few dings that occurred during the stripping process. It was exactly what I needed. Maybe you can search the wreckers for something similar?
That said, depending on what year the tub is you are looking for, there are many minor changes that they went through over the years. And yes it is a lot of work still.

Quick Reply: Rust problem(s)