One week of ownership and I've killed it

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:16 AM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy One week of ownership and I've killed it

Hi all,

One week after the initial delight at buying my first 911, I've had my first breakdown!

The car is a '79 911 SC Targa Sport with 50k documented miles and a FPSH. However, it had only covered 300 miles since it's last service in June, so I thought it would be wise to put some miles under the wheels before it's thrown into daily use.

Last evening, pulling up on my drive after a run of 150 miles there was a loud backfire and the engine died. About 5 seconds after the engine stopped there was another loud backfire. First I thought it was a fueling issues - (my 928 backfired like that when the fuel pump failed).

After checking under the lid and spinning the engine a couple of times I lifted the distrbutor cap to find the ignition rotor in two pieces. After removing the part still attached to the rotor shaft (boy that was tight) and inspecting the underside of the rotor, it was clear that it had been forced on the shaft under pressure. There were many cracks running from the shaft boss up to the rotor head.....any one could have let go at any time.

So, remembering that this is a OPC serviced car, I'm not impressed. In fact, I've taken the decision to service the beast myself and a new rotor, cap, leads and full service kit have been ordered. At least then I know it's been done correctly!

Jon Jeffryes

79 928 auto 138k miles

79 911 SC Targa Sport 51k miles
Old 11-12-2003, 08:35 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do most of my own servicing John I'm in Enfield email me if you need a hand I've changed the rotor a few times. Make sure you getthe right cutout. A 6800 rpm cutout allows you to get the last drop of power out of the SC. your right about the rotor being tight though , they can catch out the unwary. They only locate one way as you probably know.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:35 AM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Hi Bones,

I've ordered a full service kit plus rotor, cap and alternator belt from Bert at Berlyn (hopefully arriving today). The car has been OPC serviced and it seems the Rotor and cap were fitted last year....maybe with a little too much enthusiasm!

One thing I do need and have not found is a way to secure the Alternator belt pully. I have the original toolset complete with the exception of the C wrench. Any ideas on where I can buy one?

Also, I have the dreaded 'hunting' when warming up - between 500 - 2000 rev's (had the same on my 928 at first - warm up regulator change cured that) but the warm up regulator looks brand new to me - any suggestions where to start checking?

atvb

Jon
Old 11-13-2003, 08:22 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try most UK breakers , Failing that if you can get the car over to Enfield I'll help you out.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:58 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Thanks Bones,

I might take you up on that....a little tied up with the 928 this week as i have to prepare it for a photoshoot next week - it's going in Practical Classics soon so I guess I'll have to clean the beast properly!

Feeling generous (as you always do with a new toy) I see that Porscheshop have the wur for under £200. Any idea how to check the current one to see if it is u/s before I splash out...again?

atvb

Jon
Old 11-14-2003, 02:11 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

BTW,

I'm also suffering from poor starting if I leave the car for more than 15 minutes after it's had a decent run.

Takes two or three long cranks to fire then starts on 3 or 4 cylinders before bursting into life...no problem after that....same cause?

Regards

Jon

Quick Reply: One week of ownership and I've killed it