Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air cooled Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
bradleyt09
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trader220, great insight! That is the car I'm describing! It is presented well in the pics but I have not seen it in person and have the same suspicions you do considering the length of time it has been on the market. I am definitely taking a pass and will continue to look for a clean and unmolested one.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't know that particular dealer well but I do know the used car market, the used Porsche market and especially the used air cooled Porsche market very well.

The general school of thought in the used car market is that each dealer should have a typical number of days to turn their inventory. Otherwise you have capital sitting in a car thats not making you money. The number of days to turn a high line or exotic car is obviously a lot higher than a typical generic used car but that car's been with that dealer for nearly 2 years if not more.

My though is this... 1 they clearly don't know much about the air cooled 911 market. They probably grossly over paid for that car, especially since they were in the $60's for the car for so long, and they totally blew the description of what it really is. 2 they dont see the value of taking the loss, learning their lesson and redeploying capital to make money. 3 they're unwilling to take the loss and they're waiting for that "one" buyer who knows less than they do. 4 the car does not look nearly as good in person as it does in the photos.

The old saying in the used car business is typically something like this.... If you've been listing the car correctly for 70 days and people have been looking at passing on it for 70 days you're probably not going to sell it.... there is a reason why people have been passing on it for so long.

The photos look good, its sort of an interesting car. I am not anywhere near that price even at the new $45k price. Ten more grand off and if the car is good mechanically I am interested.

Good luck with your search... my 2 cents... Coupes are worth more than Targas, which are worth more than Cabs. I don't mind Targas myself, I currently have an 88 targa in my quiver which I am about to sell. I am only selling it because I recently purchased another 88 coupe that I am working on, and I have had the targa a couple years, just time for something different. They're all great cars.... buy what you really want.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree with most of this...I think $30k ish is probably the right money for this car.

That stereo stuff in the trunk is a travesty!... but i do really like the sport seats, and the color. It's definitely a neat looking car. It's a little hard for me to wrap my head around the pricing on the mid year cars, since I bought mine 10 years ago. This car probably would have been 12 to 15k at that time.

Originally Posted by Trader220
I don't know that particular dealer well but I do know the used car market, the used Porsche market and especially the used air cooled Porsche market very well.

The general school of thought in the used car market is that each dealer should have a typical number of days to turn their inventory. Otherwise you have capital sitting in a car thats not making you money. The number of days to turn a high line or exotic car is obviously a lot higher than a typical generic used car but that car's been with that dealer for nearly 2 years if not more.

My though is this... 1 they clearly don't know much about the air cooled 911 market. They probably grossly over paid for that car, especially since they were in the $60's for the car for so long, and they totally blew the description of what it really is. 2 they dont see the value of taking the loss, learning their lesson and redeploying capital to make money. 3 they're unwilling to take the loss and they're waiting for that "one" buyer who knows less than they do. 4 the car does not look nearly as good in person as it does in the photos.

The old saying in the used car business is typically something like this.... If you've been listing the car correctly for 70 days and people have been looking at passing on it for 70 days you're probably not going to sell it.... there is a reason why people have been passing on it for so long.

The photos look good, its sort of an interesting car. I am not anywhere near that price even at the new $45k price. Ten more grand off and if the car is good mechanically I am interested.

Good luck with your search... my 2 cents... Coupes are worth more than Targas, which are worth more than Cabs. I don't mind Targas myself, I currently have an 88 targa in my quiver which I am about to sell. I am only selling it because I recently purchased another 88 coupe that I am working on, and I have had the targa a couple years, just time for something different. They're all great cars.... buy what you really want.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:08 PM
bradleyt09
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Trader, I'll bite.....please send me some info about the 88 Targa.

Quick Reply: Air cooled Newbie question