Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

what cd box to use-is permatune junk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:16 PM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cd box to use-is permatune junk?

I am putting a 3.0 into a '75 body. I needed to buy the correct CD box so I bought a permatune. The first one either died immediately or never worked. They said it had fried power transistors. They replaced it and the second one worked for a while and died due to some other fried components that they said was rare and my car's fault. They got defensive when I mentioned the mixed heritage of the car/engine combo.

There is nothing that can be wrong with the car as the plug to the CD box is from the engine harness, and the only other wires are grounds to the mounting bolts. I checked my ground strap and it was in place. They also mentioned that if the high voltage from the ignition system grounds through the CD circuit it can cause problems. I don't think this is the case since everything is new and seems to be working OK.

Both times the permatune died I put a borrowed bosch box in and everything was fine. Should I buy a rebuilt bosch? What about the MSD or the electromotive?

Thanks,

Art
Old 11-11-2003, 09:45 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Art, Among those who post on boards today, I'd say MSD is a heavy favorite over permatune for after market ignition. All that said, my original Bosch CD unit has lasted over 30 years, so I see no need to change. Especially now that rebuilds have blown away the horrendous prices asked for new units. Blatant plug time, because I'm a satisfied customer...
http://www.systemsc.com/
Good luck with your problem.... Paul
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Art:

You'll get many opinions on this subject but I'd recommend either the OEM Bosch box or an MSD-6AL with matching MSD coil.

IMHO, the Permatunes are not reliable.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:07 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the one from Performance Developments. It is beyond the Permatune and MSD combined. They have 3 versions. 3 pin, 6 pin single plug and a 6 pin for dual plugs. I know you not be dissapointed. These CDI units plug straight into your existing harness with no fuss. Better idle, more power and better fuel mileage, with a 12 month warranty. I had one before I went to EFI and now I use their muli channel CDI for coils. They are simply the best available period. PD's tel number is 949 646 7461.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:24 AM
power
5th Gear

I'd cost out your options. When I went to an MSD System the cost was considerably less than any other option available to me (I am Located in Canada). I also loved the soft touch rev limiting feature (although you have to buy the "pill" inserts in sets of five for added cost) which is a bit of a rip off. I have Two MSD installs on 1972 MFI cars and am happy with the results, although I have only had them installed for one and two years. P.S. I am rebuiding my old factory one as back-up, as I am a bit of a electronics hobbiest. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:04 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Go with the MSD 6AL and Blaster high vibration coil. Make sure you have good power and ground connections. Run a 12 gauge wire from the battery terminal on the starter to power the unit. Lots of problems with CD units can be traced to poor power and ground.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:44 PM
art
Pro

I decided to bu the Performance Developments unit. It is $425.00 which is about what the rebuilt bosch would cost as I have no core.

They seem knowledgeable and helpful, but so was permatune the first time... The second time it was sorry sucker. I'm out the money for that P.O.S.!

They were pretty convincing that their unit is superior, so I'll post when it is in.

Art
Old 11-12-2003, 08:28 PM
GeorgeMa
Intermediate

My Permatune lasted just over a year, and for less than 500 miles. I was not smart enough to get a second one, but I went to a different mechanic, John Walker. Dr. John changed the Permatune, and put in a new coil at that time. He said you must change the coil when you change the CD unit.
So far so good, but I do not drive that much.
George Ma
Seattle
83 911 SC Targa
Old 11-16-2003, 02:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Went through two brand new MSD-6AL's with matching coil. Both units arrived damaged and needed repalcement. Decided to go with the Permatune + Bosch Blue coil and it worked great. Better performance and smooth starts. Easy plug in install. Had it for seven years only 5000 miles or so without a problem. Sold the car and the new owner seems to be having problems. Tach drops to zero before engine cuts out. (?) I believe Porsche used Permatune on their race cars.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Rouxzy
Advanced

I had the permatune in mine when I bought it and thought it ran alright until I replaced it with the MSD. Night and day. Car runs much better at idle and low RPM's with the MSD. Pulls stronger and I get better gas mileage. Give this a thought. The old CD unit is 30 year old technology. Permatune not much newer. MSD is alot newer. Just my opinion.
Tom
Old 11-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Richard Pankhurst
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a Plasma Drive on my 89 911. It died and stranded me. Replaced it with the stock coil and haven't looked back - I couldn't be bothered going back to Permatune for a replacement despite the fact that it was under warranty.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll second Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems' recommendations. My 30 yr old Bosch CD box recently died and I replaced it with an MSD-6A & MSD High Vibration Blaster coil. I think it's a winner.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:30 AM
art
Pro

I installed the Performance Developments unit. It is larger than the Bosch/permatune so I had a bit of work to get it in. I ended up removing the voltage regulator, drilling some extra holes in the sheet aluminum mounting and bolting it in. I then made a bracket to hold the regulator which bolted to the lower flange of the ignition unit. They have a short pigtail which transitions from their unit to the 911 6 pin connector that gives a little extra wiring length.

They also have an LED which I wanted to be able to see which will flash at cranking speed when the ignition is functioning properly. At running spees it is flashing so fast the you can't see it. I have not seen this yet as I have been working alone.

I'm still fighting two missing cylinders so I do not have a full report yet yet, but initial impression is good. After I placed the order they called a few days later to make sure I was happy with it.

Art
Old 11-23-2003, 11:14 AM
dial911
Instructor

Gentlemen.....I'm interested in the Performance Developments ignition. But please tell me if the unit connects directly (same connectors etc.) in place of the Bosch CDI. My intent is to have it as a spare, readily and easily installable in an emergency roadside situation.

Also, their website seems to lack info on the product. Can you direct me to better/more details somewhere?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:35 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help here. It comes with a small adapter harness to make it plug and play. It is a little larger, but will fit in same position. These are very small things to accept for the very best Ignition you can put in your car, period. Compared to fitting an MSD, it is a cake walk. Also, the Ignition power output is way higher than the MSD and digital to boot. They offer a 12 month warranty, which is better than most. Many have tryed them amd all have loved them. I had one and changed over to their 4 & 2 channel systems for individual coils. This same Ignition unit was the reason the 959 made it through US emission testing here. The factory system couldn't, but with the PD unit it flew thro. Better starting, better idle, more power and better mpg.

Art you choose well. With the LED, anyone can diagnose a CDI fault. Great little addition.

Try one you will not be sorry. One of the best kept secrets around for 911's and 930's. PD's tel # is 949 646 7461.

Quick Reply: what cd box to use-is permatune junk?