Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Robotek, Tweeks, RennShift, Wevo - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Doug E.
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robotek, Tweeks, RennShift, Wevo - Opinions?

Does anyone have experience with the Robotek, Wevo, RennShift, or Tweeks shifters or shift kits?

I have an '84 Carrera with the 915 transmission. I know the 915 is a good trans, but the shifter with it’s long linkage is known to be a bit sloppy. In my ongoing quest to improve gear changes, I have installed a factory short shift kit, (the car came with an after-market ss kit), I've replaced the bushings front and back, switched to Swepco 201 fluid, a Stromski Precision Shift coupler, installed 'Factory Sport' motor mounts, and adjusted everything. These have helped quite a bit. They’re listed on order, from most to least beneficial.

Does anyone have experience with the Robotek ($299), Tweeks Gate Shift Kit ($149), Wevo shifter ($595), or RennShift ($390)? Most of these spring-load the lever to stand in the 3rd-4th plane, and some have a reverse lock out from 5th. Is one better than the others? I’m leaning toward the Tweeks (seems to have all of the features of the Robotek, can be used with my Porsche Shifter, less expensive), or the Robotek. But any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2003, 01:01 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Friends of mine have the wevo. It is extremely well made and shifts very nicely. I am unsure however how it compares to the less expenisve vendors. There might be a good compromise elsewhere. However, I am sold on the wevo and will rather live with my no name short shift for a while longer until I can afford the wevo. You can always take it with you to the next car is what I think, or if you sell the car, take it out and sell it to a friend. $600 is a big hunk of cash, but nothing is really cheap on these cars anyway.

George

Cheers, George
Old 11-12-2003, 01:19 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If your car doesn't shift well with all that you've done, then my guess would be that you need to take a close look at your tranny. The 915 hasn't aged real well; it's odd to remember that many reviews from when this car came out singled it out the Porsche's single best feature.

Gate devices like the Robotek and Tweeks (Seine Systems) will not really improve the quality of your shifting at all. They're there to provide tactile feedback for the 1-2 gate so that you're less likely to mis-shift and blow your engine. The shifter replacements will provide more precise feel, but -- like everything else you've done -- they won't fix worn out synchros in your transaxle.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:55 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

have you replaced your shift bushings yet? if not do it. it will clean up the slop, and you will be very pleased.

if the 915 is anything like the 901 in set up, there will be 3 buishings..
ball cup bushing, a circle bushing that holds and lines up linkage just below and behind the ball cup, and then a set of 2 linkage bushings that goes back, just infront of the back seats, in the tunnle, accesable by the grill under the carpet.

replace all 3 sets (if the 915 has the same set up.. if not, change all that apply with the 915)

and if you want a shift kit.. go with wevo.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Roamer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your money, go with the Sein System kit to prevent mis-shifts. Replace the cup bushing under the shifter, the coupler bushings with polyurethane, re-align the linkage and change the fluid (Swepco 201). You should then have a nice shifting tranny as long as the syncros are good.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Doug E.
AutoX

Roamer -

I am not familiar with the Sein System you mention, and can't find any reference to it. Can you provide more information on who sells it?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Seine Systems

Very well thought of parts!
Old 11-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Doug E.
AutoX

Thanks. I found the website, with good, detailed info about the shift kit. Here's the link: http://www.seinesystems.com/GateShift-1.htm

This is the same unit Tweeks sells, at the same price ($149).

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:11 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

The WEVO is pretty amazing, though I haven't tried the other options. With the WEVO istalled, my gearbox is as precise as any modern car I have ever driven.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:41 PM
RS'd '73S
Advanced

jake, did you install the WEVO shifter, joint or both?
Old 11-14-2003, 03:17 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'joint'. If you mean the coupler, I did not replace that. I put in the kit that sells for $595. It replaces the shifter arm, top plate of the housing, and the cup bushing. I have the stiffest springs that WEVO offers so it does require a bit of muscle to shift, but the precision is much better than the stock shifter that came with my Boxster S. It's at least as good as the B&M kit I put in the Boxster. WEVO does offer a couple of different spring rates that weren't available when I bought it, so you could choose to pick a rate that requires less effort.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:04 PM
RS'd '73S
Advanced

Yeah, I was referring to the U-Joint (WEVO Precision Shift Joint aka PSJ) ..... thanks for the info.
On the spring rates, are they the springs for centering in the 3-4 plane? Can you pick a different rate for the two directions (ie higher rate for the 5-R vs 1-2)?
Old 11-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the Seine Systems shift gate installed about a month ago. I had already replaced the bushings and the gear oil with Swepco. At first, I wasn't sure whether I liked the Seine or not. but after getting used to the feel, I do really like it. It has cut out a lot of the "slop" in shifting. Much more precise. I think it is well worth the price.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As an addendum, I have also installed the Sport motor and transmission mounts. Really didn't do anything for shifting, but I do like the crisper throttle response.

BTW, I have an '81 SC.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:17 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

RT -

Yes, the springs center the shifter in the 3-4 plane. If I remember right, there are four springs under the top plate, one in each corner. If you bought the other spring sets they offer, you should be able to mix and match so that different force would be required.

Quick Reply: Robotek, Tweeks, RennShift, Wevo - Opinions?