LED Lighting for my '89 Carrera Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts
Smile LED Lighting for my '89 Carrera Targa

Spent about an hour last night installing my new LED headlights and tail/brake and reverse lights on my Targa. What a difference! I still need to properly adjust the headlights and install the rear turn/sidemarkers as well as the front turn signals, but essentially when done, 95% of the exterior lighting on the car will be LED-based (just waiting on front side markers from SpokeWorks LED).

I purchased and installed the Audette Collection LED headlights - Audette Collection LED headlights for 911s. John is from Bend, OR and did a GREAT job building these. He is using JWSpeaker LED headlight assemblies which are 7" round, DOT-legal low/high beam LED headlights. They are integrated into a pretty standard H4 setup and use Bosch lens. If you have H5 headlights, you simply need the PP H4-H5 adapter cable to make it work. You also have to bend back two of the four supports that hold the H5 assembly to get the new LED headlights to fit. It's a reasonably straightforward installation, and the lighting benefits are well worth the cost and investment of your time.

For all other lighting, I purchased several kits from SpokeWorksLED - SpokeWorksLED. Jerry is GREAT to work with, and he has done a very nice job of engineering and manufacturing a well-thought-out and easy-to-install solution. He has even worked out the electrical differences for those of us with Cruise Control so that you can have an all-LED lighting system out back of our cars. So far, I have the brake/tail and reverse lights installed. Makes a HUGE difference in being able to be seen on the road at night over the stock Porsche lighting setup. Planning to install the rear turn/sidemarker lights, front turn signals and the proper turn-signal flasher relay (to avoid the fast blink caused by the installation of the lower-draw LEDs) hopefully tonight. Will only have the front side marker lights and fog lamps to convert after that.

All in, it is NOT cheap to do this. But, even at the cost for all of the kits, having my 911 more visible to all the idiot drivers running up and down the 101 in the Bay Area is well worth it!

I can't say enough about John and Jerry and their products. very nice people, smart and very easy to work with.

If you are looking to upgrade the exterior lighting of your 911, I highly recommend these two firms. Great products that work great!!

No affiliation with either firm. I am just a very satisfied customer. There are VERY long threads on PP that document Jerry's path to designing/building/selling these LED solutions. I also found John's solution over on PP. Not trying to promote PP here on RL, just letting you know where I found the info.

Pictures to come tonight.

Toby
Old 03-14-2017, 04:01 PM
crixer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. 1200 bucks is a bit hard to swallow, but I am seriously thinking about doing this. The factory lights suck. I read that you need to install a relay for H5 updates, etc. Do you need to do anything like that with the LEDs? I would imagine that the relay has to do with power being pulled. The LEDs wouldn't require as much power as the factory lighting setup. I have no idea, hopefully someone will chime in. Would you post pics of your new lights?
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you already have H4s, you could just throw these in. Plug and Play as I understand...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262682743201...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Balloonmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Toby,
I have a 1987 930 and want to replace the four turn signal bulbs with Sylvania LED 1156-equivalent bulbs. What exact flasher relay are you getting for your LED turn signal bulb installation?
Thanx,
Old 03-14-2017, 11:59 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crixer
Nice. 1200 bucks is a bit hard to swallow, but I am seriously thinking about doing this. The factory lights suck. I read that you need to install a relay for H5 updates, etc. Do you need to do anything like that with the LEDs? I would imagine that the relay has to do with power being pulled. The LEDs wouldn't require as much power as the factory lighting setup. I have no idea, hopefully someone will chime in. Would you post pics of your new lights?
Crixer, no relays required. Using the H4-H5 adapter cable, it was a plus and play installation.

Toby
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balloonmeister
Toby,
I have a 1987 930 and want to replace the four turn signal bulbs with Sylvania LED 1156-equivalent bulbs. What exact flasher relay are you getting for your LED turn signal bulb installation?
Thanx,
I am using the SpokeWorks flasher relay.

Quick Reply: LED Lighting for my '89 Carrera Targa