Shifter installation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 04:00 AM
HemiMG
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shifter installation question

Hi,
I have a 1970 911 which I have just started to put a short shift kit from weltmeister into. I have ran into a snag now as I am trying to put the springs back into the housing. The problem is I have NO idea how to get the springs back in there. I can't get them compressed enough to fit by hand. Is there some type of trick to it or do I need a specialty tool of some sort.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:15 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I am not sure if you refer to the two springs which are compressed by the top plate, so, Here is what I found on my 1980 SC: Get everything ready, have one nut ready, get "on top" and compress with both hands, try and hold with one hand after compression, get the one nut on, breath out and get the second nut and washer on. Now remove the first nut to install washer. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:29 PM
HemiMG
2nd Gear

Nope, sadly the 1970 shifter is different from the 1980. The springs are mounted horizontally and near as I can tell they are only there to stop play in a plate that they press against the side of the assembly. I may just cut some tubing to length and say to hell with the springs.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Hugh
Advanced

Well, dare I say it but that'll learn ya to put a non-Porsche shifter in there. I speak from unfortunate experience, having wrestled the same thing into my '84 Carrera, only to have the piece of @#*$ break on me 3 months later. Yes, the spot weld that keeps the shifter shaft from rotating came un-welded. The shifter began to rotate freely. I got a whole shift tower off a wrecked '86 and installed it sooooo easily. Shifts like a charm now.

Good luck,
Old 03-05-2002, 05:46 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

I installed a factory short shift kit, but had a similar problem. I used big zip-ties over the whole assembly, so I could push with one hand and 'ratchet' it down with the other.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Rinoxus
Track Day

What benifit does the short shift offer? Are ther any other kind of shifting modifications that might be better? Is the short shift like the one that Van Diesel used in The Fast and The Furious?

Quick Reply: Shifter installation question