Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sheard head stud 88-911

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:48 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done earlier this summer. I only had the car about three months. It cost me about $3,600.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ In my 80, they broke about a week after purchase. Not so much bad luck but the result of cars that were from sunny (rainy) Frorida and were seldom driven. They also had sissy previous owners who never knew the meaning of hard driving which would have revealed the problem earlier.

Ed,

OK now, take it easy on us Florida boys. Some of us down here share the lead foot syndrome at the track. But, speaking of lousy drivers, I've managed to miss gears a few times on upshifts and over-rev that 3.2 into deep redline territory. What? In 2nd gear and not 4th? But so far, the engine has been the proverbial hunk of cast iron, pulling stronger than ever. Head studs? A problem?

But I don't plan to press my luck on it. I've enrolled in a high school driving program; just the basics: you go from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd, to..........just like they say. And maybe I'll keep being lucky.

Dan
Old 11-12-2003, 12:20 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, I drive my 87 like I stole it and drove my 90 C2 the same way - we are not wussies in Florida!
Old 11-12-2003, 01:36 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You fellow Floridians got it wrong. I am also from Florida. Lived in Miami from 81 to 97 when I got sick and tired of not having 320 days of sunshine and mountains to look at. So I moved to Arizona. What I meant was that the type of humidity that is present in Florida, along with rain and not driving a 911 very often, is not very condusive to burning off condensation on head studs. Or a lot of studs on the motor for that matter. While there are many reasons for head stud breakage, there is a concensus that corrosion is one of the big reasons for head stud breakage. As for sissy drivers, that is just my way of describing someone that does not redline their 911 on a daily basis. Seems the previous owners of my cars drove in that boring manner. That they happened to be Floridians is inconsequential. They could have been from anywhere. But anyway, if the previous owners of my cars drove like I do, the studs would have broken before I got the car. So sissy is a bad choice of words, but oh well. So maybe I should have said previous owners who don't belive in daily Italian tune-ups. At least maybe now I got the point of first week breakages across.

Last edited by Ed Bighi; 11-12-2003 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:22 AM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

It's funny you guys picked Florida, thats where the car spent its entire life according to its service history. The condensation, along with not being driven often enough to burn it off is exactly what my mech. said led to the failure.{ plus crappy metallurgy}.

Tom

Last edited by qball; 11-12-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Ed,
I knew we had something in common. Red line at least once every time we take that baby out. Hope to see you back here at the track sometime, Dan
Old 11-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I might be driving my track car cross country back down there for the Rennsport reunion. Before then, I might pass by Miami to say hello to Scott Finlay and then Mike and Gilbert over at Vertex. But honestly guys, be wary of high humidity and lack of driving. My SC got fresh dilavars back in 92 and I think the only reason they are still good is from driving regularly.

Last edited by Ed Bighi; 11-13-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:08 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a quick update, saw the motor apart today and the guts look good.
i'm replacing all the head studs with the 993 updates, heads are being cleaned up and new bronze valve guides are being added. while its open new piston rings and bearings are going in also. Since the engine bay is empty I'll kill time detailing the undercarriage and tranny. Did I mention a new clutch also. Good thing I had money left over from selling my 70 LT-1 vette
Old 11-20-2003, 06:23 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

But honestly guys, be wary of high humidity and lack of driving. My SC got fresh dilavars back in 92 and I think the only reason they are still good is from driving regularly. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Ed,
Good advice. Hope to see you at Rennsport. Dan

Quick Reply: Sheard head stud 88-911