Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Looking for suggestions on batteries. The one that's in my 88 is huge I would like to find something a little smaller as it's difficult to get my battery tender Junior cables hooked up permanently. My concern is if I use a smaller battery will the clamp still work to hold it down? As well want to make sure that has enough power to get the car started! What is everybody using for batteries?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

There are actually two threaded holes for the hold-down clamp. The big batteries are Group 49. If you remove the battery, you'll find another hole that will let you clamp down the shorter Group 48.

If you want to go much smaller/lighter, a lot of people are using the Odyssey PC680 (http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batt...680_series.htm). They also sell a special hold down kit to make them easier to mount. You'll probably need longer battery cables, at least the negative cable. Also search Amazon and you'll find all their products.

Mark
Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 AM
tdrimer
Racer

Thanks for the info! Are you saying that I need longer battery cables if I do the group 48? Or for the much smaller one that you showed?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info! Are you saying that I need...

Thanks for the info! Are you saying that I need longer battery cables if I do the group 48? Or for the much smaller one that you showed?
Looks like we have a disturbance in the farce.... OP's second post isn't showing up.

I think the longer cables are for the Odyssey battery, but not the group 48. After about 8 years I finally replaced my group 49 Interstate Battery with another identical Interstate Battery. That is one heavy hunk of lead.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:03 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Got it figured out. All is well with battery tender now
Old 02-05-2017, 11:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Yeah I have used a group 48 for 10 years.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Funny and timely post as I just recently replaced my smaller Group 48 with the 'barely fits without soap and a shoehorn' Group 49.

I semi rationalized the larger battery for a tiny bit more weight balance up in the nose, but also for just filling an otherwise unuseable void with more cranking power. I'm sure others could tell me smaller ones pack as much juice, but after choosing to put it in, it just seems right to have all I could get.

I took that opportunity, as you might, to clean and neutralize the area. If you do, you may be inclined to:

> Clean and recoat hold-down, connectors
> Touch up any scarred areas with rust robbing primer and reseal
> Attach a new ground cable. (Mine looked fine on the outside but was green inside; might want to look at yours.)
> Detail, clean fuse box. Yep, I went kinda goofy here, but figured I was already living in the frunk so why not?
> Clean, sort, and source any missing tools from kit. See above.
> Same with jack and spare. Replaced felt thing on receiving end of Jack stay, painted jack base.
> Recoat gas tank. Mine was scarred up at the corner nearest the battery, probably from the replacements over the years. Now looks new

Again, I went a tad overboard, but you've got a great - though old - car and much of the above mightn't have been done for years, or ever.

Enjoy your car and every time you do anything, try to make it just a little better!

Quick Reply: Battery