New Owner - well, not really new

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - well, not really new

All

I am happy to say that over the weekend a bought what i hope is a great car. You just never really know - no matter what you do before you buy - how well it is going to go until it shows up. I bought a 1988 911 coupe in Red with black interior and black fuchs. 45,000 miles on it. I recently sold to another rennlister my 2003 996TT X50 car and have owned several other water cooled cars. this will be my first true air cooled 911. I will post some pics after it shows up which should be late next week. Can't wait to join in the fun!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats tdrimer.

Post a pic or six when you can.

Eddie
Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Thanks!

Question to the group. Besides having a spare engine, tires etc laying around...what other little parts go bad on these. IE - Fuel Pump Relay, fuses, etc. I just want to make sure that i get a little stash of pieces parts that i might need if I am out on a drive and this things decides it doesnt want to run. Are there obvious things that can happen?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:27 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Most of us carry a spare DME relay switch.
I've never needed mine.
Very reliable car.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things you will not need spares of, would be 1) engine, and 2) tires.

#1 does not go bad, and #2 does.

Buy a Bentley service manual, use quality lubricants and fluids and parts. The things that I carry in the front trunk: fuse pack of assorted fuses, dme relay, oil pressure switch and an extra quart of oil, quality air compressor, alternator belt, tool kit.

On longer trips I add a set of front wheel bearings (1 set), one headlight bulb, tail light bulb, flares. All of these things have gone bad while on the road at some point or another, except for the wheel bearings. I would totally change the brake fluid on that car, and all lubricants. You need to have a look at the engine fuel lines and brake lines.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:17 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Originally Posted by rusnak
Two things you will not need spares of, would be 1) engine, and 2) tires. #1 does not go bad, and #2 does. Buy a Bentley service manual, use quality lubricants and fluids and parts. The things that I carry in the front trunk: fuse pack of assorted fuses, dme relay, oil pressure switch and an extra quart of oil, quality air compressor, alternator belt, tool kit. On longer trips I add a set of front wheel bearings (1 set), one headlight bulb, tail light bulb, flares. All of these things have gone bad while on the road at some point or another, except for the wheel bearings. I would totally change the brake fluid on that car, and all lubricants. You need to have a look at the engine fuel lines and brake lines.
excellent!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:42 PM
tdrimer
Racer

here she is in all her glory. You may wonder why i have a wheel stop under front wheel. i always park my car out of gear and with emergency brake on...but just in case...you just never know! I am OCD about this stuff
Old 01-31-2017, 08:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Completely understand. You might be in good company here. Just don't forget that the wheel block is there when you go to back out, or you might kludge a hole in the wall with your left side mirror.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM
tdrimer
Racer

Originally Posted by rusnak
^ Completely understand. You might be in good company here. Just don't forget that the wheel block is there when you go to back out, or you might kludge a hole in the wall with your left side mirror.
AMEN
Old 02-01-2017, 09:22 AM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Red is the fastest color. You will LOVE that car!

We're, like, SISTERS!

Mine arrived two days back.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM
tdrimer
Racer

Originally Posted by no.radar
We're, like, SISTERS! Mine arrived two days back.
i really like the tail for these cars. I wont do it as this car is 100% original and want to keep it that way with its low miles but could see myself making a change in future...maybe buying a lid and tail and be able to switch when the mood hits me!

Quick Reply: New Owner - well, not really new