Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

NickyP - beautiful car, love the color.
Phil
Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

NickyP, I agree with you. If I were able to be directly involved with the build and have my father and/or friends along for the journey that would great starting from scratch. The search is a great part of this experience and I've been in contact with a few sellers who have access to an occasional car or two. I've seen some great examples online - and, some not so great ones as well. The guidance here has been great and some of the responses are hilarious.

Thank you for the pictures. I love your car! I'm sure you'll be holding on to this one for quite some time.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
Tex-
When I read your post a few days ago I wanted to jump right with some thoughts, but the question is so open ended and as discussed, there are just too many variables to take into account to arrive any definitive conclusion on ST pricing guidance. Like you, I wanted an ST tribute, but I did not want to buy an existing car, I wanted to participate in a build as I really enjoy the entire process from concept to finish.
Economically, a ground up bare metal, spare no expense restoration/build makes no sense. You will most likely be underwater, but who really cares if the journey and experience of the build are part of your car ownership enjoyment. I was fortunate to have Scott Longballa do all the metalwork, paint, suspension and brake work on my ST build. It took Scott and his guys about 14 months for their work and I am very pleased with the results. Scott’s knowledge of early 911’s and his attention to detail is extremely thorough. The net result is perfect panel fits and gaps, welding that replicates the factory way and the proper prep and steps for undercoating and paint. I also think that having Longballa do my car and the photo documentation that he provided will help should I ever decide to sell.
Obviously, the advantage of buying a finished project is the instant gratification of not waiting the 2-4 years it takes to complete a project and avoiding the uncertainty of what these things really cost to build. Suffice to say, it always takes longer and costs way more than you expect. Buying a car built by someone like Longballa comes with the comfort of knowing that things were done correctly. This also applies to your engine/transmission builder etc. In general, you get what you pay for and the price of admission isn’t cheap these days. I think you would be pretty lucky to find an ST that appeals to you aesthetically and mechanically built by some of the respected pros in our community. If you do, I’d pull the trigger. Here are a few photos of my ST.
Amazing build!

When doing it right it will cost you but expect a good resale too.

Considering what a real ST would cost, having your dream built like this is still alot of money but a fraction of the cost of real example.

If you are upside down on a project as good as this you do not really care because there is most likely nothing else you rather have.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Amazing build!

When doing it right it will cost you but expect a good resale too.

Considering what a real ST would cost, having your dream built like this is still alot of money but a fraction of the cost of real example.

If you are upside down on a project as good as this you do not really care because there is most likely nothing else you rather have.
That is the real beauty of building your own hot rod- you get to build the car you want - as long as your checkbook holds out -

Phil
Old 01-24-2017, 01:25 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks gents. My checkbook is in severe distress, but it's 100% worth it. And Tex, the search is a great part of the journey. There are lots of good people in our community and cars do pop up once in a while. I actually thought Scott would never sell his yellow ST as he had only recently finished the Gamroth built 3.5L EFI motor that he completely loved. For Scott, his joy comes from the build so don't be surprised if you see a few more cars come from him over the next few years. PM me if you ever want to get on the phone and discuss a car, a builder or any cost metrics. I'm happy to share what I've learned through this process.

Nick
Old 01-24-2017, 01:31 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
That is the real beauty of building your own hot rod- you get to build the car you want - as long as your checkbook holds out -

Phil
Yep...I spend months thinking through every single turn of the wrench. Every possible option gets agonized over for months or even years. I've got my "look for/buy/build" list with several projects going on it at a time. Imagine my surprise when my Cibie Super Bi-Oscar "amber lamps" showed up on Craigslist after years of searching and waiting. Thought my next move was one project and nope....I'm down a different wormhole. .....or you look up fuel rails on Pelican and they are $400 each but can be found used locally, replated and ready to go for $40 ea. Imagine the deals the real insiders give each other...
Old 01-24-2017, 02:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

That AK car is OFF THE CHARTS.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

Here is a really nice one that just hit the market-http://autokennel.com/1971-porsche-911-st-coupe/
I think this is well worth the 160K.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:11 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I think this is well worth the 160K.
well yes it was well worth the $175k it sold for....
Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 PM
texas_maverick
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NickyP
Thanks gents. My checkbook is in severe distress, but it's 100% worth it. And Tex, the search is a great part of the journey. There are lots of good people in our community and cars do pop up once in a while. I actually thought Scott would never sell his yellow ST as he had only recently finished the Gamroth built 3.5L EFI motor that he completely loved. For Scott, his joy comes from the build so don't be surprised if you see a few more cars come from him over the next few years. PM me if you ever want to get on the phone and discuss a car, a builder or any cost metrics. I'm happy to share what I've learned through this process.

Nick
Thanks, Nick. Sounds great - I may take you up on the offer.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is a really nice one that just hit the market-http://autokennel.com/1971-porsche-911-st-coupe/
I think the ST had a mfi motor, no?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
well yes it was well worth the $175k it sold for....
Carburetors too. No mfi
Old 01-25-2017, 12:37 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_A
I think the ST had a mfi motor, no?
Scotts SY ST had MFI originally then he had a Gamroth 3.5L with EFI put in....a epic engine with GT3 crank and mid 300 HP.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Check out RS-Werks since I was watching him tear down the 3.6 motor for my RSR tribute build recently and owner told me he is doing what seems to be more of a "clone ST" build because he has original ST parts and that was demanded by the buyer.
I wont divulge the price he told me for the ST build but lets say it is similar to some of the higher prices mentioned on this tread.
Good luck.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 280 Posts

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...st-recreation/

Quick Reply: Porsche ST Tribute Pricing