Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking to buy a hot rod early 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jac1976
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I am continually amazed by how many people attribute any and all Porsche modifications to Magnus, Singer and the like. No offense to either Magnus or the Singer guys as their work demonstrates incredible execution and a keen eye for design cohesion, but many of these "visual cues" are evocative of cars that came along before they made hay with social media and other avenues afforded by the internet.
Show me one set of 69R lights on a longhood that were Frenched in before Magnus and I'll accept your point. I think guys like Rod Emory wins the prize for most copied artist. I get asked all the time if I'm trying to build a Magnus car.....and it's funny that I didn't know about Magnus for the first 5 years of my build. Please try to pin my 930 brakes on my trying to copy Magnus.... He told me himself he's never owned a set. I've done what I like and what makes lightness and speed.

Yes, I like His cars, and yes, he likes mine. ....and as you say, just because I've got some of the same things going on with mine as he has with his does not mean I have copied him....when I didn't even know him when I started.

The most flattering part of building a car so far outside the lines is having a guy like Dave Bouzaglou seek me out and spend 30 minutes with me going over every inch of the car asking me a million questions about the most obscure detail and asking where I sourced certain parts and extending a personal invitation to his Treffen. Who knew T-locks were such a secret?

.....or having Loren Beggs shake my hand and tell me I've done well. OMG!!!!!

.....or having Jack Olsen tell me I did a good job with the seats.
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2017, 10:25 PM
jac1976
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, not sure how to respond here as I don't think you will accept my point as I am not sure you got it in the first place.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Uh, not sure how to respond here as I don't think you will accept my point as I am not sure you got it in the first place.
I totally get what you are saying. Many of the mods done by Magnus Walker and Rob Dickinson were being done long before they came along. I get that..... and I know that. Heck, they do too. They just happened to employ Instagram to attention ***** themselves into the spotlight.

I used the Frenched R lights to counter your point, though. I don't recall seeing it anywhere else prior to Magnus claiming it as a "signature" mod. Once someone famous does something unique it's hard not to think the copycats are, well, copycats.

Here in Southern California we have thousands of cars that are modified well outside the bounds you'd call stock. My car is one that really draws attention. It's an RS Cabriolet... Who does that? I've never seen one. Not one.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

....sorry, had to turn the chicken..... Why are you busting my ***** over this anyway? You take a ten year break from posting on Rennlist then upon your return tell me that I may not accept your point. Dude?

Point is that our cars are a blank canvas and because they are just toys we can play with them however we'd like. Mine just happens to be 400 pounds lighter than when I started and missing a few unnecessary parts.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2017, 11:34 PM
jac1976
Track Day

You did get it. And I agree, they do, too. At least, from what I have read as I have never met them.

For the record, I have not seen anyone French the R light housings. It's funny, as much I like the early 911s and appreciate Magnus' work on those, it's his 964 with the shaved gutters, signature R tails, etc. that really impresses me.

I like your car. Nice work. And to our point, making these cars our own is what it's about. And while we borrow ideas from here and there, it can be simultaneously amusing and annoying when people assert we copied someone else. I generally take that as an opportunity to point out cars that may have escaped their radar.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 PM
jac1976
Track Day

You re-posted too quickly or I typed too slowly.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

You did get it. And I agree, they do, too. At least, from what I have read as I have never met them.

For the record, I have not seen anyone French the R light housings. It's funny, as much I like the early 911s and appreciate Magnus' work on those, it's his 964 with the shaved gutters, signature R tails, etc. that really impresses me.

I like your car. Nice work. And to our point, making these cars our own is what it's about. And while we borrow ideas from here and there, it can be simultaneously amusing and annoying when people assert we copied someone else. I generally take that as an opportunity to point out cars that may have escaped their radar.
I'll try to find a picture of something I did not copy, but have since seen hints in photos that it has been done.

Take a look at the manual heat pulls on the parking brake. It's an '88 so it came with autoheat...freaky, no? Well, now look at where the footwell blowers should be. See the 3" black silicone air ducting on the driver's side? The driver's side manual pull directs air through it to a Y fitting and up to the windshield. The passenger's side manual pull directs air to the passenger's feet via the same ducting that takes a 180 degree turn as it exits the footwell. Some say madness....some say genius. I say I studied a lot of old Porsche racecars.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2017, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Show me one set of 69R lights on a longhood that were Frenched in before Magnus and I'll accept your point. I think guys like Rod Emory wins the prize for most copied artist. I get asked all the time if I'm trying to build a Magnus car.....and it's funny that I didn't know about Magnus for the first 5 years of my build. Please try to pin my 930 brakes on my trying to copy Magnus.... He told me himself he's never owned a set. I've done what I like and what makes lightness and speed.

Yes, I like His cars, and yes, he likes mine. ....and as you say, just because I've got some of the same things going on with mine as he has with his does not mean I have copied him....when I didn't even know him when I started.

The most flattering part of building a car so far outside the lines is having a guy like Dave Bouzaglou seek me out and spend 30 minutes with me going over every inch of the car asking me a million questions about the most obscure detail and asking where I sourced certain parts and extending a personal invitation to his Treffen. Who knew T-locks were such a secret?

.....or having Loren Beggs shake my hand and tell me I've done well. OMG!!!!!

.....or having Jack Olsen tell me I did a good job with the seats.
drinking coke from orig glass bottle. that's all the creditbility you need. i like the details in your 88
Old 02-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by mooty
drinking coke from orig glass bottle. that's all the creditbility you need. i like the details in your 88
Real Mexican Coke with real sugar....just like my car.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:01 PM
upshift4
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So does anybody have an affordable "hot rod" for the original poster?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Maybe he bought this one...sweet deal

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tlaw-sale.html
Old 02-04-2017, 12:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Real Mexican Coke with real sugar....just like my car.
u KNOW your coke. sugar cane sugar
Old 02-04-2017, 01:53 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Maybe he bought this one...sweet deal

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...tlaw-sale.html
I tried! Literally contacted him the same day and was going to pay asking price but it had sold already.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't think that the words "affordable", "hot rod" and "Porsche" really go together in the same sentence, which is why I started to suggest some alternatives.

And, what's it say about me that I love Diet Pepsi, and have to drink it out of plastic or aluminum (can't find glass)?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

http://smclassiccars.com/porsche/297...-2000-lbs.html

I totally do not believe the price tag on this car. They spent more than that on the engine

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/por...-race-car.html

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-05-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a hot rod early 911