Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 + Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 PM
ellivretnec
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 + Snow

About to get serious and buy a very nice 1991 Carrera 2. Where I live gets some snow and while I don't plan on driving around with a foot of snow on the roads (and do plan to get snow tires)...does anyone have any tips, tricks, techniques or experiences (beyond the obvious) to share for snowy conditions. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:22 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess one "easy" trick would be a Carrera 4. Have you thought about going that route instead of the C2? I may not drive as hard as some (or many?), but I have not been as concerned with the "understeer" with my C4 that others have spoken of. Fact is, I love the control the AWD gives in wet or dry conditions.

If you haven't driven one, I suggest you test drive a C4. Then issues or concerns regarding some snowy days in the Winter may be resolved for you. IMHO you give up nothing during the dry times, but have significantly more control in adverse conditions.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 11-04-2003, 05:28 PM
npausch
Intermediate

I agree with TMH if your worried about the bad weather driving a C4 is the way to go over a C2.... you will be more comforable in those conditions and its about your comfort behind the wheel that is gonig to make it easier to drive.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 396 Posts

The biggest trick to driving anything in snow is to have good snow tires, slow down and plan ahead. The snow tires could actually be included in the latter group. For my winter transport(Audi S4) I have a nice set of 4 hp snow tires wouldn't be cought w/o them. 4wd or no
Old 11-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 78SC that I drive all year in Alberta, Canada. Snow tires are a must. I use Michelin Alpins. The 911 rear weight bias and better braking make it a good winter car. I had AWD Audis and winter tires beat AWD on ice.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Juan
Instructor

One word....

Don't go there.

So I lied.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd bet it's more than do-able with a good set of snow tires, like everyone else has said. Plus, imagine the empty parking lot fun a 911 could dish out
Old 11-05-2003, 10:55 AM
slingshot C2
Instructor

Originally posted by Hladun1
I have a 78SC that I drive all year in Alberta, Canada.
#1- that's a shame
#2- how the hell do you stay warm? the heat in my C2 is terrible
Old 11-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

I have a 911SC and drive it in Alberta winters as well. I don't drive it when its really cold (<-20C), or when the roads have been salted (the corrosive effects of residual salt on polished Fuchs is significant, so frequent washing is required). I use all-season tires, which also double as my 'quiet' tires for summer touring, and have no traction problems.

Regarding the heat, I find mine to be great. Since the exhaust manifolds warm up almost instantly, warm air starts blowing within 2-3 minutes of driving -- in my experience, much quicker than trying to warm up the 3-4 gallons of ice-water that surround the block on a water-cooled car. If you're not getting heat, I suggest a look at the blower located in the engine compartment. I had to replace mine this past fall, and understand that these motors are prone to seizing due to the heat of the engine compartment.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

P.S.: If you think I'm nuts to drive a 911 coupe in the winter, you need to meet my friend John Rudolph ... who I'll introduce by means of the attached photo published last January in the Edmonton Sun newspaper. John drives his Boxster TOP DOWN all winter.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Jgordon
Racer

David, I'd have your heating system checked out. If there's one thing the 911 can do, it's generate heat. I could roast a chicken in my car in the middle of January.

Jared
Old 11-05-2003, 12:42 PM
racer
Drifting

If I recall, 911's won the Monte Carlo rally in the 1960's and there was quite a bit of snow for that. Get some good tires and suprise some people by using your car YEAR ROUND, not just in the sun!
Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Conquest
P.S.: If you think I'm nuts to drive a 911 coupe in the winter, you need to meet my friend John Rudolph ... who I'll introduce by means of the attached photo published last January in the Edmonton Sun newspaper. John drives his Boxster TOP DOWN all winter.
Got any more pictures of that? I'm going to be driving my Boxster this winter (albeit with the top UP) and I need some motivation.

Don't have any winter driving tips other than the obvious. You'll have some help with great traction (motor over the drive wheels) with snow tires and you'll need your ABS. Bill's advice is the best...plan ahead. Be ready. The most dangerous thing about winter is the unpredictability...you could be driving on a dry road and then hit an ice patch.. ..what do you do? Just be ready for things like this. Really no different than driving any other car.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:32 PM
npausch
Intermediate

Originally posted by slingshot C2
#1- that's a shame
#2- how the hell do you stay warm? the heat in my C2 is terrible

a Shame??? i didnt realize driving a car through the winter was a shame....

Drive what you got... I agree that these vehicles are beautiful and are not just the average car, but when it all comes down to it, its still a Internal Combustion engine and sheet metal

Enjoy what you have
Old 11-05-2003, 03:17 PM
jet911
Pro

I too drive my Carrera in the winter, however I drive mostly on the "nice" days. In fact, I've already driven in the snow here in Utah two days ago, as when I came to work the morning was overcast and warm. However when I left, it was snowing to beat the band, a regular blizzard. She handled perfect even with summer tires. My biggest fear in the winter is not my car and driving abilities, it's the other yo-yos out there that I'm afraid will smash into me....you all know the ones....

Quick Reply: 911 + Snow