Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 + Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 04:50 PM
SEAN MCMANUS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911's are made in Germany wher is snows like hell.
I think the cars are great in the snow. they are like any other car.. just throw some sand bags up front and get at it.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Sean,
You will hardly see a Porsche in winter apart from C4s in the areas of Germany that get serious snow. Some parts of Germany do not see snow very often. Most RWD Porsche models get put away for winter all across Europe regardless just like the USA. There are some hardy owners who keep them going in winter but not in the snow fall regions. On the news last night was a 1976 911 destroyed in a mass pile up between Bern and Zuerich. A reminder of fog, below zero temperatures and summer tyres do not mix.
Now to the reason for my post. Because in my 10 years plus of living where I do and never seeing anything earlier than a 964 Carrera 2 out in winter and this was only once in Lindau I am looking for anyone who has pictures of their 911SC in the snow for my book.
Please check out my post on general pictures I need for the 911SC for the email address. I need high res images please.
I am looking forward to hearing from somebody,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the porsche's i have owned except for the 912 have been driven in snow.

The trickest porsche in the snow was my 911 RSA with summer tires. I still made it around though.

The two 1988 and 1989 911's i had was actually good car's in the snow.

The 944 was probably the best but its weight balance was probably the reason.

A 911 should be pretty good on snow due to the weight on the back end of the tires (like a FWD). The only problem is there is no weight on the front side.

Heat , every porsche i have owned (expect the 912) would bake you to death. (HOOOOOOOOOOT)

Get some snow tires if your budget will allow for it. Maybe snow chains if your state will allow it. (just be careful to have them installed correctly)

Cheers

jpc
Old 11-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Paul Conquest
P.S.: If you think I'm nuts to drive a 911 coupe in the winter, you need to meet my friend John Rudolph ... who I'll introduce by means of the attached photo published last January in the Edmonton Sun newspaper. John drives his Boxster TOP DOWN all winter.
I had owned a '80 911SC Targa. My way of dealing with the winter was when there was salt and/or sand on the road, I drove my Nissan Pathfinder. When the road was "clean", I drove my Porsche. It's not that it couldn't handle it, (I never even tried it) I was concerned with damaging or corroding components.

The downside was that I had to replace my fuel pump about every 3 years. I guess all that sitting around wasn't good for the fuel. My mechanic had suggested adding alchohol (rubbing type) to a full tank of gas before storing it. I don't think it helped much.

As for driving top down in the winter, h*ll, if you're gonna' drive, why not enjoy it?!

I did that a couple of times in an old Chevy Impala convert., but that was many years ago.

Charlie
Old 11-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I drive all my Porsches in the winter...regardless of flatlanders on ski vacations in their "invincible" SUVs or millions of pounds of corrosive salt on the slick roads. (hmmm...maybe that's why there are so few of the precious early Porsches surviving). Just as the old addage goes "these cars were meant to be consumed, er, I mean driven"!

Throw-away appliances? Not mine.

Jens
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

another
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

and another
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2003, 06:41 AM
Milu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snow tyres, chains, an experienced guide and you're in business.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Milu; 11-10-2003 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Milu
...and an experienced guide and you're in business.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Doug&Julie
I just remembered...

I'll have to look for it but back in '78, I owned a 914 2.0 and being my only car, I drove it in the "Blizzard of 78" (as it was called in the North East).

Somewhere, I have photos of my car BURIED! If I can find them, I'll try and post them.

My mechanic suggested a couple of cinder blocks in the trunk for more traction. I figured if 2 is good, 4 is better...until I broke the axle! OUCH!

Charlie
Old 11-10-2003, 04:02 PM
427grips
Advanced

Default They work great in snow, but don't push 'em!

I love my 89 3.2 I don't drive it too much in the snow as I want to keep it nice. Sometimes I do take it out and have played with it in the snow. Last year I got a little daring and goosed the throttle while going around a long left bend. The road was a little icy and as the car accelerated it started to spin towards the right, I corrected and let go of the gas pedal. I fought the pendulum effect for 3-5 times until I had it in control. When I stopped, I was covered in sweat and tired!! I will never try to do that again!

They work well untill you provoke them. Go slow and take it easy when you are on the wet stuff.

427grips
Old 11-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Ben Lovejoy
Advanced

Got any more pictures of that? I'm going to be driving my Boxster this winter (albeit with the top UP) and I need some motivation.
It's not a Boxster or even a Porsche, but does this help? :-)

(Me in my MX-5 a couple of years ago)

Ben
Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 11-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member