Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 + Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 03:24 PM
npausch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup those guys with their big 4X4's who drive like they are on a Clean Summer day...... the "im invincible because i have a 4X4 Truck"
Old 11-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Last year in one day I saw three in a ditch after a heavy snowstorm. It was an oddly proud feeling...
Old 11-05-2003, 06:15 PM
sanchez
Advanced

This is a great thread! I drove my 81 911SC from south Florida to northern Pennsylvania last year for Christmas. I didn't hit any bad weather on the entire trip north. The day after I arrived, 30 inches of snow fell in less than 24 hours! At first, I left the Porsche in the garage. After one day, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to know how she'd handle the snow. My family and friends thought I was crazy (they're probably right -- but not this time!). Amazingly, Ferry knew what he was doing when he planted that flat-6 in the trunk! Even with marginal tread on my tires, I never got stuck.

Yes, if you own a Carrera RS, you would be foolish to drive in the snow. But, SC's and 80's Carrera handle great in the snow, providing you know how to catch a slide -- in snow -- in a rear engined car. I would think snow tires would make a Carrera 4 unstoppable. Just give yourself plenty of time to stop and make believe that everyone is going to slide through every red light and stop sign.

Sorry about the long story, but I'm excited -- I'm taking the same trip in 3 weeks (if my distributor is finished and sent back to me in time).

Todd
1981 911SC
Rosewood metallic/cork
Old 11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a snowplow, so here's what I think...

I like the idea of a C4, but whatever you get, I'd be concerned about the ravages of winter and their effect on your car. Do they use sand or salt where you live? Do they ever apply de-icer? We all know what salt does to metal, but the de-icer used is extremely corrosive to aluminum- hence you might want to have those snow tires mounted on steel rims. Another hazard is rock chipping- there are several options; stick-on clear stuff for your headlights and hood, magnetic bras, stuff like that. Also, you might need to add weight to the front end- the famous understeer will be more pronounced on ice. Last of all, carry fusees, a bag of grit (kitty litter will do, but it's expensive) and drive safe!
Cheers,
Paul.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Eric-17

Originally posted by Doug&Julie
Got any more pictures of that? I'm going to be driving my Boxster this winter (albeit with the top UP) and I need some motivation.
Good luck!
Hi:

I drive with my sunroof open and one back window cracked all year 'round... I just love the fresh air swirling around my melon... Anyway, best investment I've made in a long time was a seat pad that has low and middle back massagers and two heat settings... I just love it! Heat from the vents is nice but having that gentle heat roasting your bum and lower-back is awesome! I do have heated seats but they don't get hot enough for me, hence the seat pad... Bought it from BavarianAuto.com but I've seen them in other places... If you do invest, get one that DOES NOT have the massagers on seat portion as they are a little lumpy and not very comfortable sometimes...

Have fun!

Eric
Old 11-06-2003, 11:36 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Boxster has two stage heated seats. They heat the butt and the back. I love 'em. I know...I'm turning into a softie...but I love 'em. Now I don't want to buy another car without them.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:47 AM
John Brandt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't belive how well your car goes in the snow. I drove mine throught one HARD winter and really had fun. I did not hurt it at all.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:51 AM
slingshot C2
Instructor

interesting that so many choose to drive their cars throughout the winter months.
Here in Ottawa, the salt spread on our roadways is insane.
It took me years to save enough for my 911.... I'm not about to let some *** in a winter beater slam into my investment.
it sleeps until the snow is melted and the streets have been swept
Old 11-06-2003, 12:12 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Jgordon
David, I'd have your heating system checked out. If there's one thing the 911 can do, it's generate heat. I could roast a chicken in my car in the middle of January.

Jared
I agree 100% - drove my Cabriolet from Chicago in December (20th) it was 2 degrees outside and I had to cycle my heater off and on so I didn't roast on the lowest setting! And I'm a thin blooded Florida boy!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:19 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Back in high school, I drove my dad's '74 911 in the snow, and so long as you kept a light right foot, the car did very, very well. I don't remember if the tires were considered all-season or not, but they were definately not uber-performance tires. I'm not sure how the '86 that I'm babysitting does, but I hear it did pretty well.

My 944, on the other hand, doesn't even go out. It actually got stuck in three inches of snow on a level driveway. I hear that if I had something other than MXX3s on it, it might have done a bit better...

BB.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

I'm just getting ready for winter (changed the oil to a lighter weight, had brake fluid checked for condensation, battery, etc.) and will put on snow tires next week.
Beethoven
Intermediate

I'm just getting ready for winter (changed the oil to a lighter weight, had brake fluid checked for condensation, battery, etc.) and will put on snow tires next week.
Beethoven
Intermediate

Beethoven
Intermediate

Old 11-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Sorry--that one got away
I know some people get really upset that I drive this car (it has never seen snow and is in pretty near perfect condition) in the winter, but I can't help it--I'm not financially up to storing the car and getting a beater, and I'm not philosophically up to driving that beater for months while I have a car that was engineered to cope with winter conditions.
Today was the first day below zero, and the oil temperature never made it up to its usual spot just over eight o'clock on the dial during a 40 min. commute. Is that something to worry about?

Quick Reply: 911 + Snow