Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Restoration, History & Story of a 1976 Viper Green Diamond 930 Turbo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:25 PM
rdwinelover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Phil. A fitting emoticon. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-25-2016, 12:39 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Awesome thread. Passion and attention to detail combined. Looking forward to more...thanks for sharing.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:40 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Jamie,

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

Phil
Old 12-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Great read and picto-history!
Do you have the paint code on the car from the factory? I see from the 1987 letter the color was called Diamond Green Metallic (which I can't find a code for). There was a Viper Green Metallic (L96N) and an Emerald Green Metallic (264 historically; now 2G6 on Porsche's PTS list) in that era, as well as others.
Viper Green (225) is a non-metallic color (I have a Targa 4S on order in Viper 225). Here are 4 PTS green "frogs" on loan from Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta when I was finalizing my choice. Interestingly, Porsche has not offered a stock green color in the 991 era, but there are at least 37 different greens on their PTS chart.
Eduardo is the color expert here, but I haven't seen him post for a while. If he turns up, I'm sure he can correct any errors I may have committed. I enjoy the historic colors, especially the greens, yellows and browns.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we need more pics of the 930. Whichever green that is, it's fantastic. It sure looks like a Porsche color.

I had some custom machining done in order to fit a Momo Prototipo steering wheel to my Kubota RTV (think diesel 4x4 golf cart on steroids). Then I had it anodized by a local guy who does amazing work, mostly for the offroad guys. I was pleased that it came out matching the black of the steering wheel and shift ****, which is a Wevo.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry, forgot links:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...205723_462.jpg
You can see the shift **** in this first pic. That is how the black turned out on the hub adapter.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...163920_622.jpg
Hub adapter.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...143246_676.jpg
Old 12-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think we need more pics of the 930. Whichever green that is, it's fantastic. It sure looks like a Porsche color.
More pics would be very nice. It's definitely a Porsche color from the '70s, I'm just not sure exactly which one. It certainly looks metallic. Porsche also seemed to play a bit fast and loose with color names as well (and codes), making it even more interesting.
Sure would like to see Eduardo chime in...
Old 12-27-2016, 05:18 PM
rdwinelover
Instructor

The COA states the color is:

Emerald Green Metallic

On letterhead from the factory back in 1987 they called it

Diamond Green Metallic

The tag from the factory was 264-9-3

264 = Emerald Green Metallic
9 = Porsche
3 = Herbert paint brand

Here are other green codes:

Lime Green 137
Irish Green 213
Apple Green 260
Emerald Green Met. 264
Oak Green Met. 265
Ice Green Met. 266

I realize now that I shouldn't have used the word Viper in the title. I believe that Viper Green had no metallic in it. My car had come with metallic both when original, as per the COA, factory letter and how it sits today.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:46 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic story and I can't wait to see more pics and hear more of the story.

Did you originally set out to look for a rough 930 to bring back to life or stumble upon this gem? Also what part of the work have you been doing yourself, if any? I would love to pursue something like this, but I do not know enough or have the contacts to help me with its, aside from these forums. I would also be worried about pouring more money into it than its worth if I sub'd it all out...
Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 PM
rdwinelover
Instructor

Happy to answer:

I set out looking for a rare colored car. I got to know the market prices here and on other Porsche forums. I also then started to use all the sites search functions to research restoration, paint, repairs, etc. I also built a modest network of other enthusiasts contacts and would email with them and continued to learn. One of the reasons for starting this thread was because it was SO hard to put it all together. There seems to be a share of people who want to keep a lot of info a secret. I am not sure why but I ran into a lot of times where the answers seemed impossible to answer. Persistence perceived.

I manged to buy the car right. That was paramount. After the car was bought, I had a full restoration of the body and a full rebuild of the engine and transmission. While these are not my costs below, this was a guide I read over and over.

70k for a total, rotisserie restoration which would include everything off and out of the car, down to metal, every nut and bolt plated, new rubber everywhere, perfect paint, concourse condition, everything correct as the factory would have done it.

20k for the engine

10k for the interior which would include new leather all around, new carpet, headlines, etc. My car's interior is original and this wasn't needed.

100k total

To answer your question, I didn't do any of the work myself. That said, I did read the 350 page 930 Turbo thread on Ferrari Chat 2-3 times and knew every little innuendo about these cars before I began. I now have the eye to see what is right or wrong in seconds. That was important.

As for the money going into a car like this, that depends on your time horizon. I am 42 years old. I will have this car 10 years or more. I will be cautious with miles and use but still drive and love and enjoy it. I can guarantee with 100% certainty that I will sell it for what I put into it. Likely it will be worth more, much more when I sell it. The early 930's, one year prior from 1975 (mine is a 1976) were homologated cars that allowed Porsche to race. 1976 was the first year these cars came to the US. They are symbolic cars. A part of history. Even today, 40 years later Turbo technology is the leader of the pack for performance technology. It all started with these early cars. While the cars were recognized in the last few years, prices ramped and got ahead of themselves and were due for a correction. We are in that correction phase now. They will lift off again. In 10 years it will be the Turbo's 50th anniversary and it's anyone's guess where we will be.

When I set out to do this, I have ZERO knowledge about cars, Porsche or restorations just 2 years ago. My favorite matchbox car though as a kid was a Sepia Brown Porsche 930 Turbo. As I type this I can glance down at the edge of my desk and I have that matchbox car right in front of me. I had 200 cars and it was always my favorite. Finally once I had some money, I knew it was time to learn this hobby and passion and find a car. It took 9 months of reading and learning. It has been a thrilling ride and I would suggest it to any and all to do in their lifetime.

Don't hesitate to message me if I can be of any further assistance. ~Jamie

And now for some Engine ****!!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:43 PM
rdwinelover
Instructor

Once again, Aaron at Burnham Performance did an awesome job with this engine. The car is a BEAST. We chose to keep things stock with the exception of an bigger Turbo and aftermarket muffler which are both easy to change back to my original stock parts I retained.

After disassemble of the engine, he had all the parts washed, removed all the head studs of which one was broken, resized and balanced the rods, blasted and tumbled everything, plated disassembled the heads, valve job, deck heads, guides, exhaust valves, replaced all the head studs with Supertec, cylinders were re-plated, lots of bearings replaced, chain adjustment, tension arms. etc.

The Turbo I went with was a K27 High Flow. the muffler is a rarely8 hooligan.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:49 PM
rdwinelover
Instructor

Before and after on the fan that Aaron restored.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

just stunning.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rdwinelover
Happy to answer:

I set out looking for a rare colored car. I got to know the market prices here and on other Porsche forums. I also then started to use all the sites search functions to research restoration, paint, repairs, etc. I also built a modest network of other enthusiasts contacts and would email with them and continued to learn. One of the reasons for starting this thread was because it was SO hard to put it all together. There seems to be a share of people who want to keep a lot of info a secret. I am not sure why but I ran into a lot of times where the answers seemed impossible to answer. Persistence perceived.

I manged to buy the car right. That was paramount. After the car was bought, I had a full restoration of the body and a full rebuild of the engine and transmission. While these are not my costs below, this was a guide I read over and over.

70k for a total, rotisserie restoration which would include everything off and out of the car, down to metal, every nut and bolt plated, new rubber everywhere, perfect paint, concourse condition, everything correct as the factory would have done it.

20k for the engine

10k for the interior which would include new leather all around, new carpet, headlines, etc. My car's interior is original and this wasn't needed.

100k total

To answer your question, I didn't do any of the work myself. That said, I did read the 350 page 930 Turbo thread on Ferrari Chat 2-3 times and knew every little innuendo about these cars before I began. I now have the eye to see what is right or wrong in seconds. That was important.

As for the money going into a car like this, that depends on your time horizon. I am 42 years old. I will have this car 10 years or more. I will be cautious with miles and use but still drive and love and enjoy it. I can guarantee with 100% certainty that I will sell it for what I put into it. Likely it will be worth more, much more when I sell it. The early 930's, one year prior from 1975 (mine is a 1976) were homologated cars that allowed Porsche to race. 1976 was the first year these cars came to the US. They are symbolic cars. A part of history. Even today, 40 years later Turbo technology is the leader of the pack for performance technology. It all started with these early cars. While the cars were recognized in the last few years, prices ramped and got ahead of themselves and were due for a correction. We are in that correction phase now. They will lift off again. In 10 years it will be the Turbo's 50th anniversary and it's anyone's guess where we will be.

When I set out to do this, I have ZERO knowledge about cars, Porsche or restorations just 2 years ago. My favorite matchbox car though as a kid was a Sepia Brown Porsche 930 Turbo. As I type this I can glance down at the edge of my desk and I have that matchbox car right in front of me. I had 200 cars and it was always my favorite. Finally once I had some money, I knew it was time to learn this hobby and passion and find a car. It took 9 months of reading and learning. It has been a thrilling ride and I would suggest it to any and all to do in their lifetime.

Don't hesitate to message me if I can be of any further assistance. ~Jamie

And now for some Engine ****!!
Jamie,

Thanks for the great reply and candid info. I really appreciate it and was secretly hoping you did things just as you said. I am currently and have been looking for a rare color 930. I have a 85 Carrera ROW and its plain jane black. It's a blast to drive but I have always wanted a turbo and a rare color too. Your thread title drew me right in.

I will be hitting you up in the future for sure. Thanks for the thread and look forward to more posts.

-Rob

Quick Reply: The Restoration, History & Story of a 1976 Viper Green Diamond 930 Turbo!!!