Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shift coupler bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 01:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by DaviMcK
Got the bushing arm off- not easy, scored out the broken white plastic cup bushings, pressed in the new cups, but how in the world do you push the arm back onto the two metal *****? The front one I used a floor jack and it slipped up and on. The ball under the actual shifter would break if I put that kinda force on it. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions. I greased the ball too. At first I put grease in the cup but thought that could create an air bubble which would prohibit it slipping on. I’m at a loss.
not sure what you are talking about , you may have to post pics.
Mine was easy and very straight forward. didn't need any jacks or anything.. wonder if we are ll talking about the same thing.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:32 PM
DaviMcK
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up using a large pair of pliers under the linkage age and the shifter squeezed the ball into the cup. That seems to work. I don’t believe using a jack under the shifter cup is a good idea. The shifter tube looks very weak compared to the amount of force needed to slip the ball into the cup.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:34 PM
DaviMcK
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
the plastic bushing can become elongated where the shaft goes into them , check that with a mirror as pulling the coupler out means realigning when you put back in . If all looks good your coupler is probably fine .

There is also a donut type one that supports the shift rod at the front and a cup that the shift rod fits into . Although I find these are often okay.

here are some before and after pics of mine.

if you do change these bushings be very careful and support the coupler properly or it will break. it is a cast piece.
how do you get the two black plastic bushings out? My initial guess was to remove the end with the set screw then pushing out the metal rod? Any advice?
Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Those bushings in the photo above I have found to bind and not allow the coupler to flex in all directions. Those were in my 1970 coupe and the coupler was all bound up.

I would recommend using the factory parts which do work correctly. Or use a Stomski type coupler.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:04 PM
911X2
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I replaced my factory coupler with a stomski coupler when the plastic inserts failed and I could not get my 930 to go into reverse.

Stomski coupler

Quick Reply: Shift coupler bushings