1982 911 SC Fog Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:05 PM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1982 911 SC Fog Light Wiring

Hi all,

I have an '82 911 SC where the PO installed an aftermarket front bumper where he did a fog light delete and utilized the empty holes where the fog lights would sit as cooling ducts.

My question is, I have purchased fog lights, with a positive and negative cable coming out of each (duh), however I do not know which wires on the car were previously mated to the factory fog light units.

Does anyone know which wires (positive and negative) go to the factory fog lights? I'd like to tap into them and mount my new fog lamps on the bumper.

Any and all feedback would be truly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

The fog lights on US cars only work when the headlights are on, but in Europe they will function with just the parking lights. The factory manual has wiring instructions for both setups.

Below is a shot of that page. I have a '79 SC, and if I remember, these instructions didn't match my wiring exactly, but it was easy enough to figure out. The red notes correspond to the fuse designations in my car.

Looking this over, it sounds like you have the fog lights, but might be missing the wiring harness from the fogs to the fuse panel.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old 11-04-2016, 01:18 AM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
The fog lights on US cars only work when the headlights are on, but in Europe they will function with just the parking lights. The factory manual has wiring instructions for both setups.

Below is a shot of that page. I have a '79 SC, and if I remember, these instructions didn't match my wiring exactly, but it was easy enough to figure out. The red notes correspond to the fuse designations in my car.

Looking this over, it sounds like you have the fog lights, but might be missing the wiring harness from the fogs to the fuse panel.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks a ton Mark,

Will do some troubleshooting tomorrow and see if I can rescue the old wires or just run new wires and a relay altogether.

Thanks again, will update shortly.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I guess you'll need to figure out if the OP left the fog lights relay in place or not.

This section of the manual covers installation of fog lights in mid-year cars that don't have them. There are a couple more pages, but I didn't think you would need them. Unfortunately I won't be able to get those to you before Sunday.

Mark

Quick Reply: 1982 911 SC Fog Light Wiring