Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PPI Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016 | 10:11 PM
dfwtrader
AutoX

Default PPI Question

All,

I found an 89 911 3.2 targa that I am very interested in. My concern is the out of state PPI. Has anyone heard of an individual, dealer, or consignment seller dictating who you do your PPI with?

After my initial convo he said just let me know and we can set up a PPI but after a week or so of questions, he stated from a text "We only have a handful of companies that we've approved to do ppi's"

I am a naturally cynical guy but I figured I should be able to pick whomever I choose to do my PPI. Perhaps I'm being conspiratorial but would appreciate the input.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited by dfwtrader; 11-03-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-03-2016 | 05:54 AM
Anker Berg-Sonne
6th Gear

To me that would be a huge red flag!

Anker
Old 11-03-2016 | 11:04 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

I agree that this would initially not sound right....then again, I certainly wouldn't want someone telling me who is going to fiddle with my car, then they have the option to not purchase it.
I would think any authorized dealer would be reasonable, but again, if I were a seller, I wouldn't want some shade tree mechanic who I don't know, poking around my car
Old 11-04-2016 | 04:01 PM
dfwtrader
AutoX

Thanks guys...I agree with both. It initially sent up red flags, but as Jack said I can fully understand if it wasn't a reputable place, were not qualified, or were not properly insured. Albeit described as "expensive" the place they declined is highly regarded on this board for service, PPIs, and repairs. They have a large and exquisite facility where if the car is needed to be kept overnight, it is stored with their personal collection.

Anyway thanks again for the input, it just kind of surprised me as I understood a PPI to be more valid when performed by a non interested third party, unless the seller has had one performed by a shop that you as the buyer feels is up to your standards.
Old 11-08-2016 | 10:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

The buyer should not be coerced into using the seller's shop for a PPI. The seller is free to make suggestions, but it's the buyer's choice.

Moving your thread to the 911 forum where you will receive better action.
Old 11-08-2016 | 06:47 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Yes happened to me a few times. One dealer really threw himself sideways not to have the ppi done at a shop which came highly recommended, and tried to talk me into doing it at a random shop close by, who probably had never seen an aircooled car before. In the end we went our separate ways.

When I bought my 996tt the seller initially agreed to take the car to my shop of choice, then retraded saying it was too far and offered a choice between three other shops. I accepted one of them, and the ppi turned out to be imperfect, but i don't think there was foul play, just a job not done very well.

My advice: unless it's a very unique car, stick to your guns.
Old 11-09-2016 | 09:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah go with your gut.. most dealers wont know what to do with an air cooled anyway. you can always call the shops he recommends and feel them out and see if they know the seller.

But its your PPI you pay for it, but that said I wouldn't let my car to go just anywhere if I was selling it. see if you can find a middle round.

Quick Reply: PPI Question