Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can worn shocks cause lower ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 02:11 PM
wtmeyer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can worn shocks cause lower ride height?

I am getting ready to replace the original Bilstein rear schocks on my 1983 911SC. I measured the ride height from the floor to the top of the wheel arch along the centerline of the wheel and got 24" in back and 25.5" in front. The back looks about an inch low. Can this be caused by worn rear shocks or are my torsion bars going also? The car feels like it has minimal compression damping and marginal rebound damping. The rear end wallows a bit over bumps.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:43 PM
BYUengineer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocks cannot cause low ride height. I just found that out myself. If your ride is low it is because of your torsion bars. You may not have to replace your torsion bars though. You probably just have to adjust them.

Good luck
BYUengineer
Old 10-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the contents of a Bilstein shock were under about 60lbs of pressure. Therefore, I thought it could make a difference if you are replacing Bilsteins that have lost their charge.

Anyone care to comment on this half-cocked theory?

Noel
Old 10-30-2003, 04:34 PM
an6drew
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worn gas shocks like bilstein can cause the ride height to be lower. When I replaced the worn Bilsteins on my SC the car gained approx. 1/2" all around. I'm letting the new shocks settle in for another week or so then will check ride height & alignment.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The two biggest things that cause a 911 to sag in the rear are compressed/worn rear spring plate bushings and old Bilsteins (if so equipped).

Bilsteins, over a long time, will lose some nitrogen pressure and the rear will settle. Its a slow & insideous process that you do not notice until new Bilsteins are fitted to the car.

Quick Reply: Can worn shocks cause lower ride height?