Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:31 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What????........A sick cab????......Unpossible...
Old 12-03-2016, 04:20 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Is this idea feasible, or completely hair-brained? could a reliable, cost effective driver like this be done for say 70K or less including the donor car? Obviously my goals are not concourse or staying original.
How would the experts here do a 3.2/SC resto-mod with an outlaw tilt? Would a 3.6 be the right motor upgrade in lieu of rebuilding the donor motor?
By rights, you can start with a 79-83 911SC if you do not mind 3.0L and 915 box. (this is what i am doing)
You can also do a 84-86 3.2L carrera with the 915 box. Both can be found for 20-30k as a base for a project.
The 87-89 Carrera 3.2L G50 is going to be a little more expensive to find as a donor.

IMO, you do not have to swap a 3.0L or 3.2L for a 3.6L.
The SC and Carrera motors are plenty fun and you can make reasonable power from them with upgrades. I wouldnt waste the money on a 3.6L swap.

If you want a Turbo look body you will need to start with either a turbo or M491 donor which is going to get expensive.
Or you can take a SC/Carrera and stick on turbo front and rear fenders. Not exactly cost effective either, but if you want that look, that is you option.

You can back date a SC and 3.2L Carrera fairly easy to look like an IROC, but a turbo body would really look like an IROC. Both are cool hot rods either way thanks to impact bumper and rocker panel delete.
You can always convert it to a longhood if that is the look you desire. But that will cost more.

17" Fiske Fuchs (Singer) would be nice or the 15x7 and 15x8 combo with Avon tires to match the period of the car.
Im not into black Fuchs, I rather the RSR finish.

I have seen people spend upwards of $300k to get a SC/Carrera to be a well executed hot rod. So it really depends on your Budget and goals. It depends how ratty or how nice you want it and the parts list.

The better the donor, the easier it will be to paint and build.

I would budget $100k for a nice simple but clean build.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think $100,000 is probably a good solid number for an outlaw hot rod.

After all of my work on definitions I'm starting to like the terms Hot Rod and Modified a lot.

Richard Newton
The 26 Year 911 Project
Old 12-06-2016, 06:39 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

Amber Lamps, you may have already stated this in one of your threads and I'm late to this thread, where did you get the bumper for your car? On another topic, I saw Brian from einmalig on television, the show wheeler dealers was doing work on a 912E , they went to his shop, although they didn't name the shop, just said "hello, Brian" It must have been him.
I visited the 912 forum, nothing there about the car, it's a beauty, someone from Philly bought it
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by grgallo
Amber Lamps, you may have already stated this in one of your threads and I'm late to this thread, where did you get the bumper for your car? On another topic, I saw Brian from einmalig on television, the show wheeler dealers was doing work on a 912E , they went to his shop, although they didn't name the shop, just said "hello, Brian" It must have been him.
I visited the 912 forum, nothing there about the car, it's a beauty, someone from Philly bought it
He mentioned that a TV show filmed an episode there but he never saw it on TV. I remember a couple years ago he sold three cars in one day for something like $400,000 in green cash. A buyer had come over from Europe with the intent of buying cars at one of the big Arizona auctions and had gotten skunked. Rather than going home empty handed he stopped in at Einmalig and paid a premium for cars Brian had all but forgotten were stuffed away out back.

I got my bumper off of Craigslist for $50. Also got my perfect/brand new flapper boxes off the same guy for the same money. When I went looking for another one a few months ago Brian wanted $300 and said the dealers want something like $700 or $900 for them. OUCH!!!.

I had a customer of mine, a speed/hot rod shop, weld up the unused holes for me for $100 and got the paint from a local supply shop and sprayed it myself. Used the same paint and process on my ducktail. Both my stock bumper and stock decklid are up in the rafters...
Old 12-07-2016, 06:33 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

Amber Lamps, thank you, is yours a euro bumper with the bumperettes deleted?, what search terms/part number would I use?
The TV show is on the current season on Velocity, should be archived, it was a 1976 912E. Also interesting at the start of the show they bought the car from a guy wearing a Star Enterprises sport shirt, he had a least 3 911's 912's on the lot, looked like they were in Calif.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

US spec bumper

Will have to see if I can find the show in youtube. I don't have TV.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

That's Brian. You'd never guess by looking at him that he's.....First and foremost he's a Porsche nut.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Building an outlaw and or replica does result in costs getting "out of hand" but the end result smiles are worth it. Mine started as an '83 Euro spec SC and then the flood gates opened.

Complete repaint with fenders, doors, glass etc removed. White color is original color with Brumos style stripes under the clear coat.
Interior:
original removed including wool insulation and replaced with thin aircraft closed cel foam. RS carpets, Reccaro Pole position seats, RS door panels and rear seats removed.

A/C and auto heat removed and replaced with a manual heat control. Momo steering wheel, Shift light and PORSCHE Classic radio ( need some fun and bluetooth helps)

Suspension:

Turbo tie rods, Bilstien custom valved shocks, Torsion bars 21 front and 29 rear. Adjustable sway bars front and rear, all new bushings . Boxster brakes calipers and Carrera rotors with Padget blue pads 16" FUCHs with 205's on the front and 225's on the back. Too 888's in the summer and Yoko 048R's in the cooler temps

Drive train.

Completely rebuilt 915 transmission, Guard LSD and WEVO shifter.

Engine rebuilt, lightened and balanced. Auto choke removed and manual cold start throttle installed. Engine stroked to 3.2 ( wheel Hp on a very conservative dyne is 215+

SSI headers and Dansk sport muffler. Custom built oil cooler in front bumper

I'm sure I'm missing some other items but fortunately my wife was totally on board for the build

Currentl weight with me in it is 2430 lbs and there perhaps is some more I may lighten as time goes on. Bottom line a blast to drive
Attached Images  

Last edited by f4 plt; 12-09-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Building an outlaw and or replica does result in costs getting "out of hand" but the end result smiles are worth it. Mine started as an '83 Euro spec SC and then the flood gates opened.

Complete repaint with fenders, doors, glass etc removed. White color is original color with Brumos style stripes under the clear coat.
Interior:
original removed including wool insulation and replaced with thin aircraft closed cel foam. RS carpets, Reccaro Pole position seats, RS door panels and rear seats removed.

A/C and auto heat removed and replaced with a manual heat control. Momo steering wheel, Shift light and PORSCHE Classic radio ( need some fun and bluetooth helps)

Suspension:

Turbo tie rods, Bilstien custom valved shocks, Torsion bars 21 front and 29 rear. Adjustable sway bars front and rear, all new bushings . Boxster brakes calipers and Carrera rotors with Padget blue pads 16" FUCHs with 205's on the front and 225's on the back. Too 888's in the summer and Yoko 048R's in the cooler temps

Drive train.

Completely rebuilt 915 transmission, Guard LSD and WEVO shifter.

Engine rebuilt, lightened and balanced. Auto choke removed and manual cold start throttle installed. Engine stroked to 3.2 ( wheel Hp on a very conservative dunk is 215+

SSI headers and Dansk sport muffler. Custom built oil cooler in front bumper

I'm sure I'm missing some other items but fortunately my wife was totally on board for the build

Currentl weight with me in it is 2430 lbs and there perhaps is some more I may lighten as time goes on. Bottom line a blast to drive
Wow. Sounds like an amazing build!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 3.2 outlaw/restomod?