Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

State inspection emissions test limits - are they changing for old cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 01:04 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default State inspection emissions test limits - are they changing for old cars?

I just had my NY State inspection done on my '81 911SC. It passed easily, and I decided to look at the previous inspection printout to see if any of the car's numbers had changed significantly. I was happy to see that my car was running slightly more cleanly than during the previous test. However, I noticed something very alarming about the test itself.

The allowable limits for the various criteria -- HC, NOS, and CO -- had all been drastically reduced since the previous test. Although my car is actually running slightly cleaner than it did the previous time, it was, obviously, closer to the limits because the limits are much stricter. I had thought that an '81 car has to pass the emissions requirements that were in effect at the time the car was built -- 1981. This does not seem to be the case, unless the shop made an error (I asked, and they said they made no mistake -- they just tell the computer the car's year, and it does the rest (the printout said "1981")).

If the state is retroactively changing the threshold for old car emissions standards, there may well come a point at which an '81 (or whatever year) car can no longer pass, even it runs just as cleanly as it did the day it was built. My car wasn't close to the limit yet, but if the limit keeps changing...

Does anyone know if these changes will continue?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Warren Bain
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the threshold for an antique car? DO antique cars get tested?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Dean
Instructor

If I were you I would e-mail your state agency for emission testing. I found that our state agency actually responded to my e-mails
Old 10-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My state has relatively strict emmissions testing. The state DOT claims the cars have to meet the emmissions standard for the year they were built in only.

My state subcontracts the testing procedure out to a 3rd party contractor. If your state is the same, maybe your state DOT would be interested in knowing the standards have changed between your last test and this past one. Is the subcontractor 'changing the rules' for some reason for their benefit? It pays to inquire.

My state is very prompt in replying to emailed questions about DOT issues.

Worth a try...

Good luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
BYUengineer
Track Day

I'm studying to become a mechanic and to the best of my knoledge the emissions standerds don't change. They are suposed so be the same as the year the car was built. Although if they are changing it is possable to get your car to run cleaner than when it was built. With all my cars i prefer to tune them until they pass modern emissions standers. The hardest one is my 68 bug. I can't quite get it to meet modern but i'm close. The emissions should never change. But that's why all my classics i prefer to get them before 67 then you don't have to worry about all this stuff.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:11 AM
lightisright
6th Gear

Ohio, when e-check began, the state set the limits you had to pass as a multiple of the original specs. Initially this was 3X whatever the (in your case) '81 limits where. Over the years they have knocked this down to 2.5X, 2X. I don't know what they are set at currently and I think the multiplier even varies for which gas. So basically NY didn't raise your original standard, they just reduced the fudge factor.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 PM
BYUengineer
Track Day

I was wong i found out today that they do change the emission specs. But it is the canges are few and far between. So since they just changed it where you are it won't change for a while now.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:16 AM
dvkk
Advanced

Where I live the thresholds change all the time. The numbers are chosen based on technical and political reasons. If the numbers are too low, then too many cars fail, causing a public outcry.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

In NJ 25yrs or older the car is eligible for QQ (classic )plates that don't require the car to go through inspection/emissions tests.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Eric-17

Originally posted by Jay H
My state has relatively strict emmissions testing. The state DOT claims the cars have to meet the emmissions standard for the year they were built in only.
Hi Jay:

Glad I live in Calumet County, we don't have emissions testing out here in the boonies... For years I dealt with emissions in Sheboygan County, and while never failing, spent many hours in line waiting to test.

By the way, I really like your site... Your 964 is gorgeous! My daily is a BMW 325I with very light grey leather and charcoal trim. I just love leather interiors in colors other than the standard black or tan...

Eric
Old 11-06-2003, 11:46 AM
RS'd '73S
Advanced

Originally posted by Warren Bain
What's the threshold for an antique car? DO antique cars get tested?
In WA State antique/collector cars are not tested ........ in fact, you don't even have to buy tabs ever again.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric:

Thank you for the kind words on my site. The software available nowdays makes it easier for even an idiot like me to design a site.

You don't usually get to pick your colors when you buy a used car, but I feel I got pretty lucky since my 964 is in the exact colors I would have picked if I could have ordered a new 1990 back then. As I think I mentioned on my site, the car sat in a Chicago warehouse for 5 months because no-one liked the color combo. The dealer I bought it from admitted that it was not a popular colored car and didn't get much attention at that time.

You're lucky up nort der hey with no emmissions testing. A co-worker of mine couldn't get his older car to pass emmissions here in Milwaukee county. The DOT revoked his registration and he can't drive the car, nor can he sell the car unless he gets a salvage replacement title (or so he tells me). The repairs to get the car to pass would cost more than the car is worth, so he's forced to junk the car or sell it for parts. (I posted back in spring about this guy's '84 Camaro and the whole saga involved with this dog).

Jay

Quick Reply: State inspection emissions test limits - are they changing for old cars?