911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do Fuchs get out of balance easily?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003 | 06:26 PM
bship
Intermediate

Default Do Fuchs get out of balance easily?

I have an 83 911SC with 7&8 OEM fuch's. I get them balanced and they are quite smooth but after a month or so I notice some wobble. I dont drive the car very often, maybe 1 or 2 times a week @40 mi. max. When I do drive the car it is usually very spirited driving. The tires are in decent shape and are Kumho's. Could I be developing flat spots or could it be a suspension issue, though that looks fine? Does hard driving, cornering and sliding create a need for more frequent balancing?

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-26-2003 | 09:27 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No, Fuchs don't go out of balance easier than any other wheel. My single biggest problem has been the bonehead mechanics applying wheel weights to the wheel without cleaning the surface before sticking them on. The weights just fall right off. Completely ignorant service personell. Sears did it to me twice. Even TireRack just this last week. You'd think they'd have such a simple technical step figured out by now. Damn.

Jens
Old 10-27-2003 | 01:26 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Scott:

Jens offered some great input and I'd "second" that.

One piece wheels, Fuchs or otherwise, do not go out of balance unless they suffer physical damage.

The root cause of balance issues are tire related. Lost weights, shifting casings, separated plies and tread can all change a tire's balance.

IMHO, most tire techs are sloppy about attaching wheel weights and this is an ongoing problem.
Old 10-27-2003 | 01:38 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

And if the tires are subject to heavy use close to the time they are mounted, they can actually rotate on the wheel. A recent thread on this board documented how a mark made on the tire by the valve could end up a full half rotation away from it after track driving. If you think about the energy a tire is transmitting to the wheel under high-speed full braking, for example, combined with the lubrication used to initially mount the tires still not being fully dry -- and it makes sense.
Old 10-27-2003 | 07:13 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

also, i might add that many tires have a mark on them that are suppose to be directly lined up next the air valve. why? that actually helps balance it.

edit... im a dumb *** shoulda read what jack said before i posted
Old 10-27-2003 | 09:10 AM
Dean
Instructor

I find that my tires will flat spot. But it only lasts for a few miles. Maybe you are not driving your car enough

Quick Reply: Do Fuchs get out of balance easily?