Sunroof Delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:56 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof Delete

Hello there,

I have been helping a friend fix up his 1977 911S. So far new rotors, pads flexable lines, new brake pistons and seals and dust covers. I rebuilt the alternator and turned up a new rear bearing support for it. Replaced a CIS line to the WUR. Did the tappets, points, new Dizzy rotor, cap and spark plug leads.
Fitted SSIs and a new Monty Muffler. A heap left to install, turbo tie rods, shift bushes,warn up lever actuator etc etc etc.

The vehicle had been left out side for many years and as such the sun roof could not be opened by the normal methods. I eventually got it out and the sunroof bucket had rusted beyond repair.
We ended up getting the steel sunroof delete panel from the UK and I must say it is a quality piece of work.

A highly recommended panel shop fitted the delete panel and repainted the roof and it looks fantastic!

Now a problem occured yesterday when the upholsterer said he couldn't get the new headlining support bows to fit.

We checked the part numbers and they say it'll fit from 60s to 1998. He says that they are too long and when he attemps to install them horizontally and then trys to rotate them up to the vertical position that the bow interferes with the roof.

Now, the question I need to ask, is the roof skin on a sunroof car lower than on a none sunroof car?
The upholsterer is talking about cutting the headlining wires down and making them shorter.

Has anyone had experience with installing a headlining into a car that used to have a sunroof? From what I can see, the panel that supports the wires is the same on sunroof and non sunroof cars.

What are we missing?

TIA

Frank
Old 12-23-2016, 07:20 PM
deutschnine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need trimming, take a look here from an old thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...g-problem.html
Old 12-25-2016, 04:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the panel shop guy can probably modify them for you. He sounds capable.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:39 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
I would say the panel shop guy can probably modify them for you. He sounds capable.
Yes, the upholstery guy fixed it. Turns out the original ones supplied by parts hardly ever fit!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Delete