'81 911 SC Targa glass & install

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM
JWhite
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '81 911 SC Targa glass & install

Hello guys,
I've been reading a bunch of threads on how to remove/re-seal/reinstall the targa glass on the 911. With that being said, my boss asked me to remove the old seal and replace it with an OEM one we ordered. He made it sound sooooo easy 2 weeks ago. After reading about the technique, I removed the glass and seals, cleaned the glass thoroughly, and tried to install the new seal. I have tried by myself and with up to 3 other people to install the seal using warm soapy water, silicon lubricant, WD-40, and applying it dry. I have still been unable to get the seal on the window, leaving my extremely frustrated and with a broken defroster lead. So this leads me to a few questions:

How the heck do people "easily" do this? Other forum posts make it seem like it just takes some time and staying calm...

If my boss is fine not connecting the defroster leads, can the seal be installed onto the window using the wire channel and still work?

Lastly, any help/tips would definitely be appreciated since I have no idea what to do other than try and contract it to someone in the Philly area?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-19-2016, 07:16 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

I have a couple of threads bookmarked over at Pelican for the day I have to do this myself. It seems one key trick is to use tape to hold the seal in place on the glass. Once the seal is on the glass all the way around, you can remove the tape and it should stay in place for installation.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...all-trick.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ndow-seal.html

Mark
Old 07-20-2016, 11:03 AM
JWhite
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
I feel like I have looked at those 1000 times, haha. I have tried taping as I go, the hardest part is that my fingers get really sore from pulling the seal apart. So like the furthest I can get is like 8-12 inches, then gotta take a break. I feel like this shouldn't be this difficult, especially if these were installed in the factory.
-Josh
Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JWhite
Mark, I feel like I have looked at those 1000 times, haha. I have tried taping as I go, the hardest part is that my fingers get really sore from pulling the seal apart. So like the furthest I can get is like 8-12 inches, then gotta take a break. I feel like this shouldn't be this difficult, especially if these were installed in the factory. -Josh
Sorry if those don't help much. I wish I had some real experience and a magic bullet for you. It does seem daunting, I just haven't gotten there yet. I have my own challenges, like a gearbox that's been in a cardboard box for almost 20 years.

It seems the secret is to stick with it and eventually your perseverance will pay off. Good luck, when you get it done please be sure to let us know what worked for you.

Mark

Quick Reply: '81 911 SC Targa glass & install