Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CV Boot Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Dan Rufer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot Replacement?

My '87 Carrera has two cracked CV Boots (on the same axle). If I attempt to complete this boot replacement in my garage, what oddities might I run across? Should the entire axle come out for ease of replacement? The transmission side connection has 5/16 Hex bolts; would new bolts be recommended in replacement? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dan
Old 10-19-2003, 10:11 PM
johnnyquest
Advanced

When the outer CV boot was cracked on my '89, I had to replace the axle half shaft b/c it's integrated with the CV joint, i.e., couldn't just replace just the CV joint and boot. I remember hearing tho' that on earlier cars, just the CV joint could be replaced.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:01 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking about the outer joint itself, Johnnyquest is correct... however, if it's just the outer boot that's torn (and the joint itself is OK), then this is certainly replacable. I had one outer boot that was torn, and decided to repack all 4 joints and replace all 4 boots...the joints themselves looked like new (not a mark on them), so replacing the axle half shaft due to a torn boot may be expensive overkill.

Keith
Old 10-20-2003, 09:35 AM
johnnyquest
Advanced

Although my wife is fond of saying (jokingly) that "we like to spend as much as possible for the things that we buy," in this case my CV joint was indeed bad. The grease had leaked out and the joint was contaminated with dirt.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:46 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, ha! Now why doesn't it surprise me that a female would have that philosophy (...ducking as I type)! Just kidding of course...
Old 10-20-2003, 10:51 AM
timlooney
Instructor

When in doubt rip it out. I would go for a new axle shaft, grit is your enemy. I saw that Performance Products was selling rebuild axle shafts for around $300.

You can always tell your wife that you will be saving money on labor by replacing the whole thing (I doubt it will work but you can try).

Good Luck
Old 10-23-2003, 07:47 AM
GeorgeM
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 28 Posts

I just replaced both on one side.

It's not a hard job, just a little messy. If you keep an eye on them and can guess how long they've been ripped, along with inspecting the bearings themselves with clean results, I'd just do the boots. If they go bad later, you haven't spent much cash, maybe $30 and an hour or two of your time.

You will have to remove the whole shaft to do this. The hardest part being getting the big axle bolt off (32mm ?).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: CV Boot Replacement?