Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Interior Idea Help - sourcing refurb parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016 | 11:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Default Interior Idea Help - sourcing refurb parts

I was going to try pelican but sometimes that site makes my head spin...

I'm doing some work on my 89, time to finish my OCD on it and get the interior fully to my liking.

1. Who would you recommend to refinish a dash to OEM quality. Shape is good has a small crack in the back near vents, want that gone. Vinyl is fine, OEM look.

2. Headliner, who makes the best OEM looking one? Mine has a small rip behind the sunroof that's driving me nuts - I need to replace the rear window seal due to shrinkage anyway so that's 1 window already pulled...

3. My seats are cashmere. Driver seat has wear on bolsters but no rips, leather is pretty soft, cushions good. Passenger seat is in decent shape. Looks like it's been 'touched up" before. I'm debating "refinish" or "recover" them. Any guidance on which is really best? Does refinish last??? And if I go leather replacement, WHO. Rear seats look like new. Carpets are clean and good.

Oh, and if anyone has a "while in there" list for when the motor is out, can you post a pointer? I need to do a clutch replacement... And we'll you know what that starts.

Thanks!

This is the car, the red one :-) Ok the red g-body. I think that other red one might be mine too.

Old 06-14-2016 | 11:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

No business dealings with them yet, but i have talked to Tony @ Autobahn Interiors in Mira Mesa about some things for my car. I have seen his work on a few of the local cars and his name often comes up on threads regarding interior restorations. Semi-local is always a plus also. They can probably do the dash and headliner for you.

http://www.autobahninteriors.com/
Old 06-15-2016 | 01:47 AM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

+1 Tony @ Autobahn

Keep in mind front windshield needs to be removed to do the dash. Tony can also do headliner and seats for you. A while your in there thought is to replace sunroof cables while headliner is removed.
Old 06-15-2016 | 02:09 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Also endorse Tony Garcia at Autobahn. He will take good care of you.
Old 06-15-2016 | 10:09 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

On the later cars you can remove dash without pulling glass. Supposedly :-)

So I'm having a bunch of other work done, would you just bring him the seats and dash? I can have my local guy do the headliner. He's done a bunch.... And buy the kit from autobahn...

The other option I was looking at was classic9 buying their seat kit, headliner etc.
Old 06-16-2016 | 04:00 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

I plan on taking my seats and dash from my 75 to Tony. I will install carpets myself but will probably buy from him. Good luck, sounds like you are getting close!!
Old 07-30-2016 | 02:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

FWIW - i've got all new seals to replace with the glass pull for the headliner. i'm getting quotes and looking at work from 2 different restorers here in the area. Both have EXCELLENT work. Not a cheap job to do the headliner, dash, and front seats, and entry driver sill carpet... ;-)
Old 07-30-2016 | 08:40 PM
FEKGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I was going to try pelican but sometimes that site makes my head spin...

I'm doing some work on my 89, time to finish my OCD on it and get the interior fully to my liking.

1. Who would you recommend to refinish a dash to OEM quality. Shape is good has a small crack in the back near vents, want that gone. Vinyl is fine, OEM look.

2. Headliner, who makes the best OEM looking one? Mine has a small rip behind the sunroof that's driving me nuts - I need to replace the rear window seal due to shrinkage anyway so that's 1 window already pulled...

3. My seats are cashmere. Driver seat has wear on bolsters but no rips, leather is pretty soft, cushions good. Passenger seat is in decent shape. Looks like it's been 'touched up" before. I'm debating "refinish" or "recover" them. Any guidance on which is really best? Does refinish last??? And if I go leather replacement, WHO. Rear seats look like new. Carpets are clean and good.

Oh, and if anyone has a "while in there" list for when the motor is out, can you post a pointer? I need to do a clutch replacement... And we'll you know what that starts.

Thanks!

This is the car, the red one :-) Ok the red g-body. I think that other red one might be mine too.

I will eventually need to do same stuff, except on other coast. I'll pm you Spryerx.

Old 07-31-2016 | 05:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

If you've got a good installer just take Tony the dash and seats. If I didn't have Autoweave in Denver I would use Tony. Used him a lot on customer cars when I was at Carquip a decade ago.
Old 07-31-2016 | 11:09 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Tony is da man
Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2016 | 11:39 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

well I'm lucky enough to have Auto kennel close by, and was drooling over a few cars Paul had.
He had a few different resto jobs there, one was done by Tony, another by a shop next door to his.
Both were VERY high quality. And looked GREAT. It included dash and seats.
My current plan is to take the car down to Tony once the mechanicals are done.
Dash recover, new headliner, new window seals since glass needs to come out, front seats recovered (damn beige), and floor carpet - will try just driver sill if match is good otherwise it all gets swapped!

Quick Reply: Interior Idea Help - sourcing refurb parts