Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 coupe valuation

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 06:01 PM
DGlenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 coupe valuation

What are the "Excellence" values for an 83?

I'm looking at an 83sc with the following details.

---------------
1983 Porsche 911 SC, blk/blk, 83k orig mi, excellent condition, pwr sunroof, pw, pm, ac, factory alarm & tail, front spoiler, SC Floor mats, leather sport seats, leather dash, all serv records, manuals, tools, orig unused spare, air compressor, polished wheels, factory wheel locks, factory sport susp, Yokohama tires, $17500
---------------

The guy has only put about 300 miles on the car in the 2 years that he has owned it. Otherwise it has been under a car cover in his garage for that time. It has the chain tensioner upgrade but the guy isn't sure about the pop-off valve. It has the requisite stone chips on the front and a few cracks in the driver's seat leather.

What value would you personally place on this car?

The guy says he won't take anything less than $17000 for it.

Is that the "standard" SC spoiler on this? For some reason, it looks different to me.

P.S. Don't worry, I know the importance of a PPI (including compression/leakdown tests).

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2003, 06:23 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

DG:

For $17-$17.5k I think that you would be looking at a nice MY'87+ Carrera with G50 tranny, hydraulic clutch, etc. Unless there is a specific reason that you have to have an SC, it seems like the price is way too high. Although I am speaking from where I am in California, where P-Cars seem to grow on trees. There are regional differences in pricing, but not by this much, IMO.

Tom
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 PM
DGlenn
Racer

I thought $17k was a bit high as well. I'm curious to see what the Excellence values are...
Old 10-16-2003, 07:54 PM
sschmerg
Racer

I'm not sure about the pricing, but that tail is not the standard SC tail for '83. That is the Turbo tail.

-Sean
Old 10-16-2003, 09:18 PM
EC83SC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Turbo Tail

Originally posted by sschmerg
I'm not sure about the pricing, but that tail is not the standard SC tail for '83. That is the Turbo tail.

-Sean
That Turbo tail is indeed the optional tail for an '83SC.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:51 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The August issue of Excellence lists the values on an `83 Coupe as follows:

Poor - $12,836
Fair - $14,595
Excellent - $19,538
Old 10-17-2003, 02:56 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Careful with the excellence values. At least in CA they are way off. And I don't know where Bruce Anderson gets his value's from either. Are those the same? Does Bruce do the market analysis for Excellence? None of these folks have recently bougth a P car, that's for sure. Asking prices often don't reflect the sale price either. A lot of owners are smoking something.

Check nadaguides.com and kbb.com for two more price guides. I think KBB will get you the low end estimate.

I would be a bit leery of someone that sells a car after only two years and worse, only put a few miles on it. It isn't that this is a collector's car or extremely low mileage, so why didn't he drive it?

Here is George's price guide for this car:
Good deal: $10k
Acceptable:$12k
Tops, if you really need this one: 14k

17k is nuts, anywhere in the US, IMHO. It is a concours car price. The paint should be near perfect and things like problems with the seats are not acceptable.

What I keep pointing out in this forum is that in CA, you can get a 993 in the 30s, a 964 in the low 20s, a very nice carerra in the high teens, why wouldn't the SC prices tumble also?

You can check for the pop off valve yourself. Take the air box lid off. You should see a toilet seat looking thing, about 3" diameter on top of the air box, left side.

Go look at the car and if you like it, make an offer, pending clean PPI that you think is fair. I have yet to see a seller that doesn't negotiate price if you are a serious buyer. I got my seller down 25% from his asking price.

George
Old 10-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Schuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I had a PCA valuation on my 911 and it came out to $19,250

My opinion is to find the nicest car out there, get a PPI, buy it and enjoy...they're right on the value issue though, there are broad ranges and for good reason...
Old 10-17-2003, 01:37 PM
jet911
Pro

IMO, $17K may be a bit high, however in Panorama there are five '83's ranging from $12.7K with 183K miles to $25K with 29K miles. The one that is nearest your example has 95K miles with a new clutch at 85K miles - asking $18.5K. If it were me, and everything checked out on a PPI with all upgrades and service done, $15K may be a fair price.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Hetmann
Intermediate

Default SC

I be leery of someone who put 300 miles on a car in 2 years. Did he ever change the oil in that time?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:33 PM
timlooney
Instructor

I would be very leery of that car. Did he disconnect the speedometer?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Eisbar
Rennlist Member

I too would put all that money towards a newer car. An '87 with a G-50 maybe. Though the SC is a mighty nice car. Found one this summer with no records, a decently done re-spray, with 95,000 miles for $8750. It looks just like your photo minus the tail and vallance. It needs the tensioner upgrade. PPI mechanic offered the seller 10,000 for it! (which I thought was a bit unprofessional on his part). Other buyers offered as much and the seller could have sold it to one of them but he was an honorable guy. Quickly found another mechanic for a"post- purchase inspection" found it to also be a good deal, saying it needs nothing, just drive it. When I was looking I saw '89 for 19,000 but it leaked oil. The more you look the more you learn. Jt
Old 10-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Singpilot
Advanced

Get the PPI. Then decide how much you like it. Is it worth it to you. I always laugh at the posters that talk anout $9K 911's. I live in SoCal, yes I see a lot of them. I see a lot of them for sale well within your number's range. I NEVER see them at the prices spoken of above. Sorry if I invite the flames, but is my experience. If it is worth it to you, and passes the PPI, go for it.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Jaxon
Racer

I enjoy these posts. I don't know why. I wouldn't pay that for that car based on the information you provided. Why? I know I could do much better on the price on a near perfect '82-'86, if I am patient. I have done so on more than one occasion. In my opinion, that price is high.

That is no reflection on the value of others owners cars or their value. It is simply what I have found while shopping.

I can also see the point of paying a premium if you find a good one that you really like. Time isn't money, but time is valuable. Some people have enough money that they really couldn't be bothered spending the time over a few thousand dollars. If they find one they really like, they will buy it.

Good luck, and enjoy the search, whatever your circumstance.

Just be certain to get a really good one!
Old 10-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Perkins
Advanced

sorry for the dissent, but i agree w/ the seller's asking price on this one. $17K is fair, not a steal, but certainly not a rip-off either. However, interior should be 'mint' and absolutely no cracks in the driver's seat leather, plus he should have all receipts of mechanical work. More importantly, are any of the head studs broken?? If not, and leak down tests checks out fine - anywhere around $16-$17K I feel is reasonable.

Quick Reply: 83 coupe valuation