Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Seaking advice on buying "road race" modified SC or 3.2L (w/ an example)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:56 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just for price perspective...Several months ago there was a white well sorted street legal mid 80s 911 for sale on cargurus.com and autotrader.com from a Porche club member/ DE instructor from NJ. $35k. I almost bought it decided to go in another direction. Interior gutted with race seats so this might be too track oriented for you. 60k original miles. Worked on/maintained for at least 10 years by owner and his son
All the high end suspension and brake mods, but stock engine.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Anje
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tgil for the input, gives good perspective.
(btw would you have saved a few photos of the car by chance?)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:13 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't give up, there are some nicely sorted cars available if you're not looking for a garage queen or a politically correct virgin car ...

Had i known six years ago that the value of the air cooled cars would rise to the point where they're at now, i probably would have left my 89 911 "as is " but i'm not one to leave things alone.Over the years i easily invested 60K in my car ( including the purchase price ) to make it MY car and have fun with it.

I have done all the work myself and spared no expense to install the best of the best that is available on the market,anyhow now it's got a fresh 95 3.6 and is no longer a collectible but then again i recently turned down $45K for it, and as the saying goes, "never sell your first Porsche because you will regret it forever "

Be patient and buy the car that you will enjoy as they should be driven rather than one that you will polish and clean every weekend
Old 05-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Anje
Track Day

Thanks Phil for your message, that's exactly my state of my mind when it comes to those old sport cars
Old 05-13-2016, 05:54 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

Please don't even consider the ebay car. Looks like he used a paint brush to paint random parts because he thought it would make it cooler.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgil
Just for price perspective...Several months ago there was a white well sorted street legal mid 80s 911 for sale on cargurus.com and autotrader.com from a Porche club member/ DE instructor from NJ. $35k. I almost bought it decided to go in another direction. Interior gutted with race seats so this might be too track oriented for you. 60k original miles. Worked on/maintained for at least 10 years by owner and his son
All the high end suspension and brake mods, but stock engine.

I prefer those kind of cars. All the wearable old elements eliminated. Solid suspension, brakes and motor. Rest can easily be sorted out, reverted if needed. Stock body preferably.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Anje
Track Day

That's the kind of cars I would have in mind also, most important are solid mechanical parts, well sorted out & tuned to make it drive as good as possible, be performant & fun, sound good & look a little aggressive yet still with some class & taste for street (I have a weakness for Wide bodies, that rear-end look is sexy as hell to me).
I would prefer a "not too race oriented" interior as the car would be driven mainly on the street, but as long as it can be reverted/ajusted that's ok; for instance swapping seats / parts is fine, but having to deal with a welded full roll cage is probably too much for me - or that would mean having to cut it as non-reversible mod to the car and I'm not sure that would be the right car then, I would tend to think there must be some other nice car out there where I don't have to destroy a well made permanent roll cage that somebody else would enjoy as is. One particular mandatory point is I want to be able at some point to have back seats with seat belts to be able to share the car with the kids on some rides.

911 Rod, that yellow 3.2L is no longer for sale anyway, I discussed with the seller he's not ready to sell it in the end he decided to keep it.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Racer

Regarding the annual costs. I don't think you can make a blanket statement that one model is more expensive than another. They're all just used cars and anything can go wrong. You'll figure that out in the first year.

The big thing is don't do any modifications to the car until you get it sorted out. You'll need to find a good local shop to help you with that. It's also getting more and more difficult to find a good shop that knows the old cars.

Ultimately you just have to pull the trigger and take your chances. It's scary.

Richard Newton
Track Days - Part 1
Old 05-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Anje
Track Day

Thanks Richard for your input.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:19 PM
Anje
Track Day

Hi guys,

do some of you know this seller, and what would you think of this car?

http://trisslsportscars.com/portfolio/1983-911-sc/

I've seen it listed on ebay also for a close to $40k reserve the past few weeks.
Few details that look so-so to me at first sight (dash color, rear reworked bumper, etc...) but otherwise looks like a cool car? Not for close to $40k to me though.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:46 PM
upshift4
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

I have the car you want in my garage.
1975 Carrera Coupe, ex PCA club racer with dozens of wins

Now back to street car but with;
Custom full race Motion Control (MCS) double adjustable remote reservoir struts & shocks
Elephants racing bushings
28 and 33 hollow TBs
ELephants Racing advanced rear trailing arms

Charlie Bar Sway bars
TRG upper mono ally and strut brace
Big Reds with new master cylinder and the trickiest carbon fiber brake diffusers/coolers EVER!

8 and 9" custom magnesium center 3 piece BBS wheels

Rothsport varioram 3.6 fully customs stainless headers and factory GT3 cup exhaust

All new Copans magnesium 915 with WEVO billet case, intermediate bearing carrier, gate shift m, 7:31 and guard LSD

Custom axles

NOS 73 RS plastic fuel tank

All fuses switched to spade type

Earls front oil cooler and new factory lines

GT racing Composite bumpers

All built and sorted by Kelly Moss Racing

And that's just the short list!

I have the safety devices cage, race timer etc in boxes.

Write a BIG CHECK!

Go to YouTube 1975 911 engine swap upgrade and see 3 videos
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Anje
Track Day

upshift4, just looked at the videos, the car looks really great indeed! Exactly the kind of car I would be looking for, and I have to ask: how much?
I'm afraid of the answer as it may be out of my budget though.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Anje
Hi guys,

do some of you know this seller, and what would you think of this car?

http://trisslsportscars.com/portfolio/1983-911-sc/

I've seen it listed on ebay also for a close to $40k reserve the past few weeks.
Few details that look so-so to me at first sight (dash color, rear reworked bumper, etc...) but otherwise looks like a cool car? Not for close to $40k to me though.

Thanks!
What's appealing? Looks like a, by their admission, driver level stock car with a replacement speedo for those ~90K miles. (Though they do say they have records back to '88.)

If this is the $40K+ world now, I can put some gas in the salvage Weissach in the backyard, spend sub-$5K on it (I have $6K in the car on a buyback 3 years ago), and maybe 40-60 hours labor..........and be pretty damn proud of what I've got. Now I can laugh at myself. It's going to get hacked into a Spec 911 for someone once I "retire" again and do the shop thing for the third time.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trissl won't sell that car for 40k, so move on.

Upshift4, how is your mag 915 box coping with 3.6 torque as it doesn't look like it has had any of the beefing up mods?

Problem with most track specific cars is the suspension, they are way too stiff for road use which usually means additional expense to modify.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 AM
Anje
Track Day

About the Trissl SC car, I think I saw a BIN on ebay around $38k at some point?
Yes it's in no way a near $40k car to me, I just thought it looked cool but I agree nothing special besides the wheels and sport style exhaust (and I happen to kind of like the reworked seat pattern), which I think gives it a nice stance. I would think it's about a $30k car max to me?

upshift4, your car on the other hand does look pretty special & great to me.
+1 with your question Mondrian on the torque with the 915, I wondered if those older transmissions can reliably handle a healthy 993 3.6L in the long term without issues?

Quick Reply: Seaking advice on buying "road race" modified SC or 3.2L (w/ an example)