Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which Porsche for cross country fun run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 06:31 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my motor puts out about 475 HP and 525 ft lbs torque (at the crank - 403/438 at the wheels - see my recent dyno sheet here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=90105 ) and my engine was probably in that $25K range to build up. I would say maybe $10K of that is labor. You could save some money by looking for used parts (like a larger intercooler, headers, muffler, etc.). You could also choose not to go to 3.4 Ps & Cs to save a few thousand dollars and just have the 3.3s modified for a .5 compression bump. Another option would be to look for an already built engine. I saw one for sale in the classifieds here on rennlist that claimed 500 HP (using an EFI system) for around $18K (here is the link: http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/lis...uery=retrieval
) You could then likely sell the 930 motor your car comes with for 5K or more if it is in decent running condition. The problem of course is that you never really know what you have when you buy someone else's motor like this (unless you can speak to the engine builder).
Old 10-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Stickanddice
Intermediate

Bill,

Great advice! Thanks.

I will probably have to make do with what I can with this budget. Right now I have other toys I'm buying and others I'm modding. Hopefully I can get this thing on the road for $50k. It looks like I may be around $10k short, which means I may have to find a really cheap starter car.

Would it make sense to get the cars which are more often neglected due to their age and pay less? ie. early 911s. Or would the price of getting the thing to 935 spec not merit the savings in purchase price?

Maybe it will altogether be cheaper to go with a 2.8 RSR replica.

Cheers
Old 10-16-2003, 06:48 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Well if you have cheap or free labor and find a decent 930 for 25K or less, then buy the engine I linked (or one like it), then you may have a shot. I would focus on the chassis being sound as it appears you will gut and/or replace everything else. Going to an uprated suspension will set you back $3-5K. I have no idea what the interior and exterior mods will cost. Many people will tell you to upgrade the brakes, but I personally think the 930 brakes are spectacular (and I also have a 993TT with Big Reds - I prefer the 930 brakes).

As for a car like Jack's, I would think it may be done for less than the 935 route. These are pretty different cars and I would think Jack's car is easier to handle than a 930 varient - although a 930 with a wide power band like mine is much easier to handle than the normal, peaky, all or nothing 911 turbos of old.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Stickanddice
Intermediate

Well, unfortunately the labor won't be cheap. I figure if I'm going to do something like this it would be a sin to cheap it out. Also given the extreme nature of the car I would want nothing but the best mechanic. I've found the guy to do it, but would rather get third party input before really talking to this guy about how much it will cost.

Anyone have a 930 that's structurally sound but beat to hell that they want to sell me for real cheap?

Cheers
Old 10-17-2003, 12:09 AM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RoninLB
I've been on a couple of 911 big rides.. if my 911 can't run for 10k miles it's in need of maintance.. So, IMO, a cross country rider is much different than a track car. Understanding the HP mentality and how to deal with it is as important as being able to handle poor fuel.
And it's no fun to drive a noticably attention getting 911 in the right lane at the speed limit. Radar detector, CB radio, laser jammer, tools, spare parts, CHT gauge, volt gauge, etc. is basic IMO for a cross country
go-cart ...........Ron
Ronnie? Screw the arrogance as well as ignorance of those who choose to ignore your input! You can call me from 400 miles away anytime...and the oil change facilites will be available. BTW, how's the weather in Long Beach New York? Here in the Willamette Valley of Orygun, it was balmy today.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:04 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by pwd72s
[B. BTW, how's the weather in Long Beach New York? Here in the Willamette Valley of Orygun, it was balmy today. [/B]
Hi Paul, LOL..

the weather on this sand bar is making me nutty..
I soldered 24kt gold wire ring terminals for the MSD and all engine comp electrics today.
it's gotta be the weather........Ron
Old 10-17-2003, 04:31 AM
Christian K
Racer

Originally posted by Stickanddice
Christian,

I just purchased Paul Frere's "The 911 Story". Thanks for the recommendation. The reading is a bit dense, but it is extremeley informative.

Cheers
It is a must for every 911 enthusiast. Good luck.

cheers

Christian

1990 C2
ex. 1984 Carrera

Quick Reply: Which Porsche for cross country fun run?