Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New guy. Looking at a 1987.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Top end to me means they just rebuilt the heads with new valve guides and stem seals. Valve guide wear is common for the flat-6 and causes high oil consumption / smoking. The mileage on the car is about right for when someone would probably address it also. Best to go over the old invoices though.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer cars that have put in a few miles after a rebuild. You could always go in there to fix a specific problem on a budget or go in and do a proper job so that your engine is good for many years & miles to come - if one is selling then which do you think he'd choose.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Mondrian says, a more "mature" rebuild is desirable. Makes sense, if I was to be selling the car and the shop calls me (the owner) with another $1000 (while you're in there) request, I would not be quite as willing to get that work done. Cheers
Old 05-05-2016, 10:02 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I own a 1980 and also owned a 1984. Stock/unmodified engines and exhaust systems.
Both of these cars pull very strong and do not take long at all to get to higher RPMs with just gradual acceleration. I also drive a GT3 and while a modern powerful car, the older ones still have a noticeable and powerful accelerations.
I am not a mechanic or engineer, but I would say something is wrong with an 87 that does not provide you a very noticeable positive and strong pull upon even gradual acceleration.
The car looks sweet and the g50 is one of the hottest and relatively affordable aircooled 911s, so all the best with your decision.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Hurley, I can understand what you are saying. I have an 87. I love to look at it, it's beautiful, but there are times behind the wheel where I am not completely sure it is my favorite Porsche to drive.
It is the car I had on my wall as a kid. It is a great car.
However, when I test drove mine, I was a little disappointed in the power. I would have to say, it is still a bit of an issue to this day, to the degree that I have and still consider getting something more modern in addition like a 2006-2008 Cayman S due to the power, modern amenities, etc.
Some of this depends on where you live. I'm in California, so I can't do much to gain HP without smog issues. Even without smog issues, you can spend a lot of money chasing HP on these cars.
They are wonderful cars but you should drive a lot of Porsche's and not be in a hurry. For 45k plus, you have lot of options-it's not like 47.9k is an awesome deal for an 87 you have to jump on right away, in my opinion.
If I were in your position, I would determine exactly what you want, then go find it and never look back.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What the car is worth to someone is all subjective, but i also agree with the sentiment that $48k is pretty strong money for a Carrera 3.2L . Its a great car and all, but as BrooksBier alluded to there are a lot of other cars in this price range. If you want an air cooled 911, you are right in the range for a decent 964 and not far off getting a good 993. All are different experiences, but the 964 and 993 are probably much more livable for a daily. I love my '88 but to get it to the point where i wouldn't mind driving it more often in the warmer months here in SoCal it will need probably $2-3k into the a/c to get it working halfway decent. And honestly sometimes i wonder if i should have gone with a 964 or 993 instead.

I agree with Mondrian also that i would prefer a rebuild with some miles on it. I do however regret not buying a white 964, probably 5-6 years ago now for $20k. It had a basically brand new rebuild on it which made me hesitant to buy it. Even if that engine blew up and needed another rebuild it probably still would have been worth while with today's prices

Last edited by Techno Duck; 05-05-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Hulley
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
I prefer cars that have put in a few miles after a rebuild. You could always go in there to fix a specific problem on a budget or go in and do a proper job so that your engine is good for many years & miles to come - if one is selling then which do you think he'd choose.
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Hulley
Instructor

You guys really have no idea on how much I appreciate the advice! I agree that it would be wise to drive a few more cars. I originally had a 964 in mind and I could go a little higher for the right car and maybe even a 993 would fit the bill. Maybe I'll head back over there tomorrow, drive the 87' again and the 964 afterwards. They offered to let me drive any car I'm interested in and a long drive at that, so I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
I would say something is wrong with an 87 that does not provide you a very noticeable positive and strong pull upon even gradual acceleration.
Yea, it's that he upshifted at 3000, like he was driving a Honda. I did the same thing for months after buying mine. Test drive the car and rev it to 5500. When a turn is coming, downshift, so you're still over 3000 after braking. Then tell us if an '87 3.2 is not enough power for you. I am firmly of the school of thought that no sane person needs more power than that on public roads. I don't even come close to using all the power of my 3.2 The exception to this is needing to be thrown back into your seat if you like flooring the gas at stoplights. Most people stop doing that once they hit legal voting age.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '88 Carrera. And it doesn't even start to pull until 4K. I think that's just the way these motors are. However, I have a Steve Wong Chip and a Fabspeed Supercup muffler. I had the cat bypass on last fall and it was pretty free revving... but I put it back on to kill some blue smoke. My guides are just starting to wear

Having said that, it should feel very torquey even just puttering around under 4K. You should be able to short shift and have it feel happy enough not to be bothered in a high gear. In other words it shouldn't feel bogged down, unless the oil wasn't warmed up when you drove it?

Also, a 3.2 often feels much quicker after an extended highway run. The oil is nice and thin, and some compression has been built up.

But, if you are comparing the motor to another sports car, yes... a 3.2 is a car you have to get used to. You learn to drive it faster if that makes sense. But it's like driving a go cart in the city. It's low *** hell, you can throw it around corners, it sounds great, and you pound it through 2 gears and you *are* doing 60... so it's not really a slouch.

One of my favorite things is the sweet smell! Just walking around a parked 911 and you know why they call it light sweet crude...

Coincidentally, a good 911 is all those things

Jase.

Last edited by Jherriott; 05-06-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:35 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both an 85 3.2 and a 96 993 and can safely say that although similar in many ways, they are quite different in many others. A stock 993 is faster, more refined, more comfortable and much more complicated. Both have a great A/C soundtrack but I find the stock 993 a little too refined. My car has been modestly enhanced to bring more of the true 911 experience out. Things like a light weight clutch and flywheel, RS shifting linkage, Bilstein coil overs, RS motor mounts and firmer front end bushings combine to give a more (IMHO) traditional, connected, 911 driving experience. Both are awfully fun cars to toss around. Cheers
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Hulley,
I hope you get it. i've got few 911, 964 & 993. each generation feels difference with pros & cons, but i'm really in love with the 911 especially the G50 ones. it's really simple & timeless. clean car is hard to find. don't wait too long if u think it's the right one!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

You should try driving a 2.7

Only 160hp, but revs without any effort, like the flywheel is made of nothing. Plus both 1st and 2nd are very short. Plus unassisted steering and even braking. As old school as you can get without breaking the bank.

Went on a 60 mile drive with a motorcade of GT4s and almost managed to keep up with them
Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Hulley
Instructor

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Yea, it's that he upshifted at 3000, like he was driving a Honda. I did the same thing for months after buying mine. Test drive the car and rev it to 5500. When a turn is coming, downshift, so you're still over 3000 after braking. Then tell us if an '87 3.2 is not enough power for you. I am firmly of the school of thought that no sane person needs more power than that on public roads. I don't even come close to using all the power of my 3.2 The exception to this is needing to be thrown back into your seat if you like flooring the gas at stoplights. Most people stop doing that once they hit legal voting age.
I agree, however I do live about 8 miles from Road Atlanta and would like to do a few track day events, mainly to enjoy my 911 in a setting that is controlled and safe. Again, not looking for a rocket ship, just a quick, fun car to drive that is both simple and unique.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Hulley
Instructor

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
You should try driving a 2.7

Only 160hp, but revs without any effort, like the flywheel is made of nothing. Plus both 1st and 2nd are very short. Plus unassisted steering and even braking. As old school as you can get without breaking the bank.

Went on a 60 mile drive with a motorcade of GT4s and almost managed to keep up with them
I would love too! I bet they are fun cars to drive.

Quick Reply: New guy. Looking at a 1987.