Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Black Anodized Trim Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 AM
georgie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Anodized Trim Touch Up Paint

I'm looking for touch up paint for the black anodized trim on a '87 Carrera, such as the window trim pieces, wiper blade arms, etc.

Also does anyone know a source for color match for the black surfaces on the stock Fuchs Wheels? I'm looking for a paint match to just touch up some really minor stone marks.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:39 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The anodizing isn't paint, it is an electrochemical process with a dye introduced. You can't buy anything that will decently touch things up. You either have to get everything redone by anodizing or by a paint or powdercoat process. I hear that powdercoating is real popular. I'd go with anodizing though to keep it original. Especially on the wheels, the powdercoat won't hold up to rocks etc. as well as the anodizing. Anodizing isn't a coating, it is a chemical surface roughening with a dye introduced at the same time...

Cheers, George
Old 10-13-2003, 08:58 AM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

I should have read both of your posts before replying....

www.carcareonline.com

For your trim use WURTH Satin black trim paint.

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=11328

If I recall, this can be used to freshen up the black mirrir trim on our cars.

Ask them to be sure.

Check out all of the DIY articles that they have posted.

marc
Old 10-13-2003, 07:30 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Actually, I believe the trim on the '87 Carrera is black paint, and not anodized. The 911 had anodized black trim starting in about '78 or '79 (which eventually replaced the chrome) that faded horribly until it was almost silver. Porsche switched to black painted trim to solve this problem after a few years, maybe around '83(?).

Also, the Fuchs wheel centers are black paint, except for the center cap itself, which appears to be anodized. That is why many of the center caps look more faded than the rest of the wheel.

-Sean
Old 10-13-2003, 09:58 PM
sprocket3
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

FYI:

I just did my widow frames and trim on the doors. My car is a 78 and had polished (chrome like) door window frames. I paid $100 to have all the pieces of the door sand blasted and powder coated black.

Looks great and is very tough!

Quick Reply: Black Anodized Trim Touch Up Paint