1986 Porsche Painting Process

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1986 Porsche Painting Process

Folks,

Can anyone clue me in on the painting process Porsche would have used on my 1986 Carrera? It's the very common Guard's Red so I'm sure no special or 'optional' process was involved - most likely whatever Porsche's standard paint technology was at the time.

I'm interested in learning what would have been done once the galvanized metal entered the paint shop - from primer to final dust off.

Is it enamel, lacquer, urethane, air dried, baked, Dupont, Glasurit, how many coats and steps, etc. ? Please load me up with more info than I'd ever want to know about how the car would have been painted (or point me to where I can find it - a search on Rennlist just brought back a few general paint questions)! :-)

Thanks!

Barry
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Series 900
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That would be top secret information, just be thankful that Porsche did not use the GM/ford paint technology of the late 80's...
Old 10-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Damon,

I hope it's not TOO top secret! Perhaps I should clarify my needs. I'm going to be replacing the rear valance panel (it's slightly 'scrunched' due to an Oops!) and the front headlight rings (one's starting to crack) and since they're small parts I'm going to paint them myself.

I'm interested in replicating the original painting process as closely as practical, especially since the replacement parts are not galvanized and will need proper rust protection. Obviously the results need to look right too.

Is there a reccomended spray can primer/color solution for doing these small parts? As far as color match goes, the rear valance could probably be off the most as it's small and fairly hidden, but the headlight rings are in your face and would have to match pretty good.

I do have the ability and option to use a good detail (jamb) spray gun and mix whatever I need so I'm interested in what I should use for that route too, but aresol cans could be a time/$ saver if I can get a decent result (SPRAY CANS?!?!? QUICK CALL 911 - the Concours guys are having cardiacs!) ;-) .

Thoughts?

Barry
Old 10-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think I would take GM/Ford paint over the rampantly flaking Chrysler paint I've seen come flying off of its minivans, K-cars, etc. I wish I had a dollar for every Chrysler hood I've seen with big patches of bare metal.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Going down for the count on this thread! ;-)

Does anyone have info on how to do a good job at this at home or should I just 'call the man' and lay some bucks out?

Barry
Skinflint. but a QUALITY Skinflint!

Quick Reply: 1986 Porsche Painting Process