Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dumb mistake- 87 911 suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:57 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Dumb mistake- 87 911 suspension questions

I have an 87 Carrera, put new Bilstein HD's on it and had it aligned. Was at a Cars and Coffee last Saturday. Many folks though my front end was very high, so, I lowered the front by myself. So now, the front is lower than the back. Doesn't seem to be bump steer issues but brought it to the local shop to lower to Euro height, so would have to raise the front a bit and lower the rear 1/2 inch roughly.
The guy from the shop called me and said I need to take it to a specialty shop to do this as the rear torsion bars need to come out, etc.
Am I best served to just raise the front on my own to 1/2 higher than the rear, get an alignment and call it good?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just level it out so that you have 1/2" - 3/4" higher wheel arch in the front than you have in the back. Until it is a dedicated DE or canyon carver all the fancy numbers are pointless. Pep Boys can do your basic front alignment after you set the height.

I welded up my own string alignment rack and have everything to do camber, caster, and toe after I set the ride height. Local shop wanted $500 for a front end alignment. I laughed and hung up.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the info. I raised it and it seems to track well. It is higher than I would like but not really worth it to me to mess with it more. I live in an area where there are not any great mechanics.

Quick Reply: Dumb mistake- 87 911 suspension questions