Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

More aggressive engine sound for 3.0L motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016 | 05:04 PM
tgil
Pro

Default More aggressive engine sound for 3.0L motor

Love the sound of the non Turbo Magnus Walker and "Growler" (Petrolicious video) cars. Especially how the engine sounds between upshifts, how is this accomplished? How significant is the hotrodding, modification?
Thank for any perspective.
Old 02-15-2016 | 05:20 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Read the comments... The Growler has 993 headers the rest is custom fabricated...

Edit: That came across harsh... that was not the intention.

A good set of headers and muffler and you should get the sweet sound that you are looking for. Problem is finding the right combination that YOU like... best to find a car that has it already and just reaching out to the owner to find out what they have... some will share the details of their setup.
Old 02-15-2016 | 06:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by tgil
Love the sound of the non Turbo Magnus Walker and "Growler" (Petrolicious video) cars. Especially how the engine sounds between upshifts, how is this accomplished? How significant is the hotrodding, modification?
Thank for any perspective.
Thats done using the right cams, intake, & exhaust system.
Old 02-15-2016 | 07:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Every 911 around here that has the sound that I love has a Borla on it. Seems to be the muffler of choice for racers that have to keep it down. Every Porsche race car at Rouch's shop, here in town, has a Borla on it.

http://www.borla.com/products/xr1.html
Old 02-15-2016 | 08:59 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Sounds are great but I've never gotten simply the noise factor....I'm more into simply more aggressive motors and who cares about the sound?
Old 02-15-2016 | 11:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Magnus mostly drives cars with carbs. They make a certain sound and have less containment off the intake air.

Alex's car, as mentioned, is more on the oulet side. That means the exhaust system after the engine.

What are your local emissions requirements? If you were to backdate your exhaust with. Ssi heat exchangers and a custom muffler it would be a big change. But whether or not you can delete your cat is a local issue.
Old 02-16-2016 | 10:30 AM
tgil
Pro

No offense taken on any comments, appreciate your/any frankness. Feel free to continue on any of my posts.

Cams I was not aware of on Porche engines so thanks for that knowledge.
So short of moving to carburators and/or cams, SSI exchangers and muffler would do it for a good start?
Old 02-16-2016 | 10:36 AM
jeffz993
Advanced

Not to hi jack but I am same situation . 78 sc with mods 993 cams, pistons, and valves upgraded had a M&k ready to ship with duel outlets / early style. I have been told that set up is loud so I am regrouping, my wife and I do multi day trips and not good if too much.
Old 02-16-2016 | 10:39 AM
tgil
Pro

Another non engineer or mechanic assumption...my GT3 sound is mostly the howl of the motor and not the exhaust system (completely stock car). That is what I prefer on my 1980 knowing the SSI and Dansk muffler or the Borla product would definitely provide some additional sound.
Old 02-16-2016 | 11:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The induction side of the engine does add to the overall sound experience. When I have my top up and my rear window unzipped, the sound is delicious. I have a couple of 3" holes drilled in my stock airbox cover (no A/C condenser, mesh grill, Perlon felt carpet, and no back seats) that help to exaggerate the intake's sounds. It is glorious. Beats listening to the exhaust any day.
Old 02-16-2016 | 01:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgil
No offense taken on any comments, appreciate your/any frankness. Feel free to continue on any of my posts.
I suspect that's a reference to my rice comment in your other thread? I'm glad you aren't offended, because I don't use that term to be offensive. It's descriptive. Modifications that are made for appearance or sound purposes with no underlying intent to increase performance as rice. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Doesn't mean that I judge it. I think we all do personalized things to our cars that qualify as rice.

That said, if you did an SSI conversion with a Borla or Dansk sport muffler you would get a different sound AND gain some performance. Even if your desire in starting down this path was the sound, you will get some real gains in driving experience at the same time.
Old 02-17-2016 | 04:26 PM
tgil
Pro

Thanks again for comments. I didnt notice the Rice comment, but I laughed when I read your last post
I guess I thought the more aggressive sound automatically correlated to more performance, since I definitely got more performance and sound from the FS products on my C4S.

I do love the sound of the carbs; seems to be a significant expense from looking at Patrick Motorsports parts list, but maybe someday if I decide to alter the stock engine of my Weissach.
From RL opinions, I' m gonna start with SSI exchangers and either Dansk or Borla muffler.
Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2016 | 04:38 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffz993
Not to hi jack but I am same situation . 78 sc with mods 993 cams, pistons, and valves upgraded had a M&k ready to ship with duel outlets / early style. I have been told that set up is loud so I am regrouping, my wife and I do multi day trips and not good if too much.
Get the QR Baffle

Name:  5cfc8b0e-e3b7-438f-a1d1-4783d8e182fd_zpsarwfg6vf.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  144.3 KB

I can't wait to hear mine...

Name:  Engine-1_zpsgizyquey.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  Engine-2_zpsxsu5nrjs.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  127.1 KB
Old 02-17-2016 | 11:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Cams, headers and a Flowmaster. The fun starts a bit past 1:00.

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:19 AM
tgil
Pro

Great looking set-up. Maybe I go conventional headers vs SSI exchangers? Gotta decide if I want to stay more original looking.
Cool exhaust note on the dyno.

Quick Reply: More aggressive engine sound for 3.0L motor