Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cruise control/Headlight Hi-Beam Flasher not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 09:47 PM
bbobbitt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cruise control/Headlight Hi-Beam Flasher not working?

The cruise control and hibem flasher (pulling back the light switch/arm) on my '85 911 cab aren't working? Are these two related electrically? Just wondering about a relay or something. I would appreciate any help getting started trying to fix this.

B

1985 911 Cab
Old 10-06-2003, 07:26 PM
purrybonker
Pro

The cruise and HBeam flash are separate sticks - no?

The high beam is on the left (pull-flash, push-fix on). Cruise is on the right behind the signal arm.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:12 AM
bbobbitt
Track Day

Default Yes...hoped a common relay might be involved

Yes, you're right...I had hoped the that the cruise control and hi-beam flasher involved a common relay or fuse???
Old 10-07-2003, 12:49 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Sorry - misinterpreted your question. These are not likely related problems.

Cruise is relay No. 4 (counting toward front of car - and including blank positions) and fuse No. 4 (same counting logic) of the center fuse block, containing 10 fuses.

High beam flash failed on mine (just fixed it on the weekend, actually) and all it took to fix it was a little clean-up and some WD40 to solve the problem. I expect that the flash function fails basically due to a lack of use. So I have resolved to flash more frequently in the future - probably a good way to meet people.

If you search on Pelican you'll find some comprehensive comments on fixing the high beam/signal switch. If the high beams work fine in the "on" or "lock" position (lever toward the dash), then fuses are not your problem, the switch must be at fault.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:52 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The two problems are likely UNrelated. The high beam switch is a common failure. Some people are able to temporarily fix them, but from what I've read the fix is just that -- temporary. The best thing to do is to pull the steering wheel and replace the switch assembly. It's not a difficult job, with the toughest part being wiring the high beam switch into the back of the low beam headlight switch. Pelican sells the part for about $90.

The cruise problem could be one of many things. I gave up trying to fix mine myself, and had my mechanic do it. It was just an adjustment, and cost me about a half-hour of labor to have it done. Money well spent.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Cruise control/Headlight Hi-Beam Flasher not working?