Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pic of my engine underside

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016 | 06:25 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Default Pic of my engine underside

New to me car arrives tomorrow. Seller sent me a pic of the engine underside........no leaks, super dry.
Will post pics once it arrives. There's also a funny story to do with how I found the car that I'll write up. Apologies for the unbridled enthusiasm. Strange thing......for a while I was dead set on a 993. The more I checked them out vs the 911s I realized that I actually prefer the looks of the older 911s......front wings are more pronounced, lower rear lights and sloping roofline, upright headlights, smaller overall car, Fuchs are hard to beat, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:12 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Clean! Funny looks like 3 of the 4 oil return tubes are new... maybe just the pic? Transmission also looks very clean - the unbridled enthusiasm is definitely justified!!

Post more when she's in your hands!
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:51 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Both the engine and tranny were rebuilt less than 1K mi ago. I suspect that they felt the 1 return tube didn't need replacing. I might call the shop to verify. Next up I'm thinking of soda blasting and repainting the remaining sections of the exhaust to match the heat exchangers.
Old 02-17-2016 | 11:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No, it looks like the one tube is the "fix a leak without taking the engine apart" 2 piece version. Which means they hosed up an o-ring when they rebuilt/assembled the motor, and had a leak. Makes you want to go hmmmmmm........
Old 02-18-2016 | 12:00 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No, it looks like the one tube is the "fix a leak without taking the engine apart" 2 piece version. Which means they hosed up an o-ring when they rebuilt/assembled the motor, and had a leak. Makes you want to go hmmmmmm........
Does not mean they were not used on rebuild....
Old 02-18-2016 | 12:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
Does not mean they were not used on rebuild....
A- Why would they use two piece on a rebuild, and only one?
B- Why would they then use 3 apparently new, based on finish, OEM 1 pc tubes?
Old 02-18-2016 | 01:21 AM
Reiver
Drifting

A- Why would they use two piece on a rebuild, and only one?
B- Why would they then use 3 apparently new, based on finish, OEM 1 pc tubes?
Why not if that is what you had on hand? I've a similar collection on my 930-10 rebuild...no leaks, burns maybe 8 oz. in between oil changes, runs like a top for the last 30k miles since I picked it up.

You could be right, you could be wrong.

It is definitive proof of actually nada.
Old 02-18-2016 | 03:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
Why not if that is what you had on hand? I've a similar collection on my 930-10 rebuild...no leaks, burns maybe 8 oz. in between oil changes, runs like a top for the last 30k miles since I picked it up.

You could be right, you could be wrong.

It is definitive proof of actually nada.
Actually, I think I'm right. With the cost of a collapsible tube much more, it doesn't make sense to use "what is in hand".

With the cost to build a motor, if I ever paid someone to do such, I'd not accept a hodgepodge of parts. Having done a couple of builds personally, I'd not do such either.

What does your oil burn have to do with dissimilar oil tubes on this engine?
Old 02-18-2016 | 04:52 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Actually, I think I'm right. With the cost of a collapsible tube much more, it doesn't make sense to use "what is in hand".

With the cost to build a motor, if I ever paid someone to do such, I'd not accept a hodgepodge of parts. Having done a couple of builds personally, I'd not do such either.

What does your oil burn have to do with dissimilar oil tubes on this engine?
You may be.....you win, you are right.

Quick Reply: Pic of my engine underside