Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby is back on the market

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016 | 01:50 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Charles Freeborn
Uh oh... I have someone who really wants my '74....Has anyone done a back of the napkin estimate on getting this on the road? By on the road I mean rat rod - street legal DE /racer.
Off the top I'm smelling 15k for core engine & trans, 5k for core suspension and another 5k for giggles and bits...how far off am I?
Not too far. If you don't have a pile of parts or a front wrecked roller with good engine and gearbox a car like this makes zero financial sense.
Old 02-22-2016 | 02:45 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears
Not too far. If you don't have a pile of parts or a front wrecked roller with good engine and gearbox a car like this makes zero financial sense.
Don't have either, but do have good sources here in town. A 3.2 makes more sense for my purposes than my 2.7. .... When I'm in CA next month I'll try do drop in for a peek.
Old 02-23-2016 | 12:35 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Today she had interior....door cards that match the dash, seats, steering wheel.... I've volunteered a few Saturdays coming up to help with the resurrection.

It is crazy to see how far gone some of the other cars are. Ruby looks great in comparison. To the guys that do restoration for a living Ruby is a gem. There are a variety of longhood 911 and 912 that to me are parts donors but to them are mid-restoration.
Old 02-23-2016 | 12:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

here's a '68....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...yard-find.html
Old 02-23-2016 | 12:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Charles is in trouble...
Old 02-23-2016 | 01:00 PM
Charles Freeborn
Instructor

I've run the quick numbers, and alas GT is right. The model doesn't fly without ample parts resources to draw from. Better bang for the buck is for me to transplant later running gear in my '74, as here in OR it's smog exempt, so there are no limitations.
Good to hear Ruby's getting another shot at life.
-C
Old 02-23-2016 | 01:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
912. (And I guess a '67.) Which misses aircooled mania by a factor of 2, longhood mania by a factor of 3+, and short wheelbase longhood mania by a factor of..........????
Old 02-23-2016 | 01:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

how bout this? can it be made into a whole 911 or narrow body 993??

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...?pic_id=743932
Old 02-23-2016 | 02:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Number one rule of Flip Club? Never tell them what you paid for it. He's got it in the 912 forum admitting he's into it for $250. And now he wants to sell. It's a 67 912.

Could be a fun little hot rod project for someone with a pile of parts or more likely someone with an actual 911 with cancer.
Old 02-23-2016 | 02:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

This car is the ultimate mash of various cars. The tub is a '72. Brakes and front running gear off an '86 930. Aluminum bananas off a G-body. Engine is a twin-plug 2,7. It is far and away the coolest combination of style and performance around....well, the car next to it is pretty cool too.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2016 | 02:44 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

this is my thinking out loud post to make up for the garbage i just posted (#38) above on my Dougie thread hijack....

i got to thinking if Beck can make a 356, why not make an old 911....

so i found this one and posted. then i realized i'd posted something close to a 1-off piece of likely cheap fiberglass from the '80s.

then i realize it's not a narrow body. but then i had to leave right away for an hour.

still, i find it odd that i haven't seen a vintage 911 kit car. Maybe it's because

1. until recently it was just as easy to go and buy one.
2. they're extremely costly to finish (as in the case of Ruby the first go-round a couple of years ago), where a Beck can be done wonderfully with what they do + a Subaru engine.

maybe i should just stick with chasing Dougie's cats around the patio.
Old 02-23-2016 | 03:34 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by GTgears
Number one rule of Flip Club? Never tell them what you paid for it. He's got it in the 912 forum admitting he's into it for $250. And now he wants to sell. It's a 67 912.

Could be a fun little hot rod project for someone with a pile of parts or more likely someone with an actual 911 with cancer.
not sure if I want to sell it or keep it. But I'm really trying to use this project as an education for myself and others. My direction is to show that you don't have to have crazy money to own one of these cars. Also, that if a particular vehicle is not your dream car, you use it, flip it to help you get to your dream car.

Here's a video I posted about it, my channel is all about that philosophy:
Old 02-23-2016 | 11:16 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Funnyism, or is it sad, on the whole thing is how far we've come. Shortly after I bought the car, before the part out obviously, I drove it over to the Partshaven swap meet. Guy is practically chasing me down the street to say he was going to buy the car, but his top offer was in the $13K range.
That was me. I don't remember chasing you down the street but you did pull in on the other side of the parking lot at the same time as me. I recognized Ruby right away. I had PM'd and emailed Ed a few times after he mentioned thinking about selling Ruby on Pelican. He talked about a price around $15k if I remember correctly. I would have bought it on the spot for that price if it would pass smog but it looked like that might be a little hard to make happen. I ended up buying my 993 a few months later. I am not Targa/Cab guy but I always really liked Ruby. Sad to see her in this condition.
Old 02-23-2016 | 11:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

For some strange reason it won't let me quote your follow up post...

Anyway, before he passed, Grady Clay pushed for Porsche Classic to release bodies in white. He estimated that they could sell them for $15k. His requests fell on deaf ears.

A Beck 904 rep is a $50k car. I agree with you idea that until recently a 911 rep wasn't financially feasible. In a world of $100k 356s a $40-50k rep flies. Now that we are looking at $100k+ 67s&68s, it may finally be something we see in the future.
Old 02-24-2016 | 10:24 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna
That was me. I don't remember chasing you down the street but you did pull in on the other side of the parking lot at the same time as me. I recognized Ruby right away. I had PM'd and emailed Ed a few times after he mentioned thinking about selling Ruby on Pelican. He talked about a price around $15k if I remember correctly. I would have bought it on the spot for that price if it would pass smog but it looked like that might be a little hard to make happen. I ended up buying my 993 a few months later. I am not Targa/Cab guy but I always really liked Ruby. Sad to see her in this condition.
All it took to smog her, was some contacts, money and a bit of being nervous for a couple of weeks, until the new tags did indeed show up.

Quick Reply: Ruby is back on the market