911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC purchase advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015 | 07:39 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

My 84 Carrera came with the sport package which had Bilstein green struts in front, sport seats, black headliner, LSD and front and rear spoilers.
Old 01-25-2016 | 01:15 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Hi Everyone. I have a brief update to my purchase decision and would like some further perspectives from a pricing standpoint. I decided to not pursue the car I was initially looking at (145K miles) as it needed some work (mostly cosmetic) to get it to the point I would be happy with it and at a starting point of 34K or so I don't feel it was worth it. I've come across another car I really like. The asking price is more, but I think there are good reasons for it. Here are the basic stats: 1983 SC, 75K miles, 3 owner car that has been very well cared for. Factory options are spoilers, digital stereo, sunroof, option group M07 (need to find out what this is exactly), 88 amp/hr battery. Exterior is platinum metallic and interior is brown/tan. Car is 100% bone stock and would rate as an 8.75 both inside and out. No cracks or tears, or even bolster wear on the interior dash, seats, etc. Work done recently: engine and tranny rebuild (all done the right way and with receipts) about 1K miles ago, AC serviced/repaired and working well (lines replaced, etc), everything on the car works, complete front end respray (glass out including new windshield), new tires, original 16" Fuchs, zero rust, zero leaks, zero smoke on startup, zero accidents. The car also has the original window sticker and books, and bill of sale/dmv transfers for every owner since new, along with receipts for work done on the car.
Very high 30s (37-39K) seems reasonable to me for a needs nothing, higher than driver quality, low miles car. Does this range seem reasonable to others with recent market/buying experience? Thanks for any thoughts on this. I'm really looking forward to ownership and joining the club……..looking forward to it much more than I was when I bought my 997 from a few years ago.
Old 01-25-2016 | 07:34 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

My 2 cents, high 30s is in line with the market for a well sorted SC. I love the platinum and brown combo.

Where is the car located? If you don't buy it, I'd like to take a look myself.
Old 01-25-2016 | 09:37 AM
tgil
Pro

As an owner to an 80 coupe and 84 Targa, both purchased 2 years ago, I think the price high 30s very reasonable for the current market for the SC you are decribing. I also think many people will be forced to pay at least mid 30s for almost any SC or 3.2 coupe, even with so called higher miles , whether or not major work was completed or great options like sport seats, LSD, original paint, fuchs, etc.
I would also suggest a 3.2 vs the 3.0 L , at least drive both. I find the 3.2 geared better and just feels more powerful and torqy, IMO opinion based on 2 stock cars with no motor, trans, or suspension mods.
Good luck and enjoy your search.
Old 01-28-2016 | 02:39 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the advice and perspectives everyone. I've closed the deal and she's mine
Now I need to arrange for shipping. Does anyone have recommendations for a good shipping outfit? Shipping will be from the E coast to SF Bay Area. I'm comfortable with open transport (on top front position), but for those in the know is there any additional risk to open transport this time of year?
I'll post pics as soon as she arrives. I feel like a kid again.
Old 01-28-2016 | 07:27 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Well done! Can I ask you where on the east coast that car was and how you located it? I'm surprised it eluded my search.
Old 01-28-2016 | 09:12 AM
roverguy
Track Day

Originally Posted by 997at
Thanks for all the advice and perspectives everyone. I've closed the deal and she's mine
Now I need to arrange for shipping. Does anyone have recommendations for a good shipping outfit? Shipping will be from the E coast to SF Bay Area. I'm comfortable with open transport (on top front position), but for those in the know is there any additional risk to open transport this time of year?
I'll post pics as soon as she arrives. I feel like a kid again.
Congrats!

A word of warning on open shipping.

A know a guy who had a $45k 911 shipped and to save a few bucks sent it open.

The truck was running through the Midwest and a hail storm came up, trucker tried to find a bridge, but it was too late, all the topside metal and glass was gone, to save $300.

Intercity is regarded as one of the best.

I shipped my 82 SC from south Carolina and to Ohio with them.

Top notch.

Think it was $900_$1000.

Check out pelican site, they run specials for the Pcar community from time to time.

Btw when I bought my SC back my cousin and I flew out to Ohio in June and drove back 1100 miles to Boston.

This time of year could be dicey and you have a long trip.

Pics please!
Old 01-28-2016 | 12:14 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Congrats!

Just fly back and drive her home!

If you do transport it, do make sure it is snug in an enclosed trailer.

Enjoy in the best of health!

P.S. If you ever make it up the North Bay, please raise your hand...it will be nice to have another SC in the Bay Area...
Old 01-28-2016 | 03:20 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Congratulations! As roverguy stated, we typically run a few specials a month. You can sign up for our newsletter HERE to hear about them first or keep checking out our promo's page HERE. Here are a few shipping sources below that you can check out:

http://www.intercitylines.com/
http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

Good luck and if you need anything be sure to let me know.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:51 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the responses and support.
As far as shipping goes, it seems that I should go enclosed just in case some nasty weather shows up along the way. I got quotes from Intercity, almost 3K.....yikes and Reliable, about 2.4 K.....yikes.
I'll keep searching for carriers, unless these quotes seem to be the going rate?
I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:53 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Well done! Can I ask you where on the east coast that car was and how you located it? I'm surprised it eluded my search.
Bump
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:56 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all of the responses and support.
As far as shipping goes, it seems that I should go enclosed just in case some nasty weather shows up along the way. I got quotes from Intercity, almost 3K.....yikes and Reliable, about 2.4 K.....yikes.
I'll keep searching for carriers, unless these quotes seem to be the going rate?
I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Can always try https://www.uship.com/ but I don't believe they have enclosed options. I have used that site before for shipping vehicles and engines/transmissions.
Old 01-28-2016 | 11:49 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Bump
Hi Rick Brooklyn. I can't find the exact site I originally found it on, but it's from a private owner in New England.
I found it by simply doing a web search for "911 SC for sale" and poured through every site that came up.
Old 01-29-2016 | 07:07 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Hi Rick Brooklyn. I can't find the exact site I originally found it on, but it's from a private owner in New England.
I found it by simply doing a web search for "911 SC for sale" and poured through every site that came up.
Thanks, I knew I had been doing something wrong

On the shipping note, the main issue for me when I wanted to ship a car last month was that it wasn't clear when they could pick up the car. Reliable told me "some time over the next four weeks".
Old 01-30-2016 | 10:47 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

On shipping, I would say go enclosed. also be weary of brokers who just sell you shipping and then the car sits somewhere until it is picked up, very vague timeline. Some of them transfer the car carrier to carrier as it crosses the country. Make sure their insurance certificate is valid and go over the process should there be damage during shipping. Lastly, check with your insurance company to see if they have any input and to make sure you are insured on your end. Congratulations and good luck.

Quick Reply: SC purchase advice needed