Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa rear glass removal experience, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Targa rear glass removal experience, anyone?

How bad is this? Any tips, besides calling a glass company? (Which I am thinking of.) I have to say, it looks like a challenging glass to take in and out. I just want to change the seal, and to take off the trim underneath for refinishing.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:46 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi,

I just had my front windshield done at a glass shop and asked about pulling the rear to replace the seal that is starting to look bad but no leaks, yet.

The owner told me that it was a difficult job and given the risk of breaking the glass, he suggested I wait until I had a problem instead of doing it "just because".
Old 01-12-2003, 07:31 PM
BoyT-911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,
Removing the rear Targa glass is easy but installation of the seal back needs experience and expertise. Several of the local auto glass installers in my area were reluctant to accept the job.

Finally, a friend from the local Porsche dealer recommended their guy. They went to my place and installed the new seal within 2 hours but needed to guys to tackle the job. Just make sure that these guys have done it before or take the risk of cracking your rear glass. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:15 PM
John Adams
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring it people who have done it before. It takes more than one person and is hard to install. I had one done at a bodyshop that specialized in porsches. Price the window and you'll definately want to bring it to the right people.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:05 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done my own twice with great success. The first time took about 5 hours, the second about 2 hours. If you understand how the front window is installed you can do the back. The most difficult part is to place the seal on the window prior to installation.

Do the job in the sun, so that the rubber seal can warm up. Cut the defrost wires and make quick connections for the window defrost and run the wires through the seal before installing the window. Trying to conenct the wires at the same time as putting in the wondow is very difficult as the wires are short.

Take the Targa top off for extra room to work. You should also have to remove the Targa bar for ease of installation of the top portion of the window, although not necessary.

Use the string in the seal grove trick to pull the rubber seal lip over the metal window frame. Start at the top center and work you way to the sides. With the bottom window/seal close to position, install the metal trim in the outside bottom grove. Gently push on the outside of the window as you use a string to pull the seal over the metal frame, working from one side to the other.

If you fail to get the seal over a portion of the metal lip gently push the window back out, reinsert the string into the seal grove and begin again.

IMHO, the task just looks daughnting. It is really not the difficult if you take it slow and think it through. I had two autoglass companies try to do the job and neither could. My thought is it takes time do do it the first time and they do not want to invest the time do do it right so they will pass on the job.

With all this said, if you don't need to, don't take rear window out.

Quick Reply: Targa rear glass removal experience, anyone?